See Through Crop!? Please Help! *Solved \('u')/*

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
I was looking at my baby chicks, over a month old, and I could see feed, grass, and other bits through their chest. It was in their crops and they have big healthy crops but they are see through. Are they ok? Do they have a birth defect that makes their stomach thin? Should I worry?!

It's probably fine. A chicken's crop is just a strong membrane, with a layer of skin over it, so it's not very thick. They are little gluttons sometimes and really stuff themselves, and that stretches the skin and the crop, which would make them a bit thinner than normal (like how a balloon gets thinner when you blow it up.)

It's probably fine. A chicken's crop is just a strong membrane, with a layer of skin over it, so it's not very thick. They are little gluttons sometimes and really stuff themselves, and that stretches the skin and the crop, which would make them a bit thinner than normal (like how a balloon gets thinner when you blow it up.)
My baby chicks eat a lot, they have gained the nickname wobble hogs at my house. The first thing they do in the morning eat, then play for a minute, then eat, then sleep, and then eat repeat.
So then, their crops are ok, that is great, thank you. I must admit it was pretty gross to see the food inside of them. 🤮 But if that means that they are just little piggies then I am ok with their gross looking crops. Once again thank you, this was really scaring me and you helped me out.

Back
Top Bottom