See, what had happened was....

ILikeChicken

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Was told all were pullets, yet out of 4 I have two that look the same, and two that are different.

the white one and the dark one are bigger, and their combs are more developed, the two identical ones combs pretty much are still non-existent. And not sure if it means anything but the white and the two identical birds like to hang out together alot and when they move to different parts of the yard they stay together, but the brown one I find by itself alot, and then runs to the rest of the flock and then the white one and the dark one kind of bump chests...

two males establishing territory boundaries????

the white one is my 4 year olds and she would be absolutely devastated if I had to get rid of it which if its a male and stays semi-quiet wont happen, but Im in the middle of omaha and Im already a bit worried 2 of my direct neighbors (behind and next door on one side) dont approve. I wouldnt mind having a man-bird for the ladies I just dont want to end up having spent almost 1k on a house and run, and many many hours designing and building it, and the countless fights it caused with the wife, just to have some city asshat come cite me and force me to get rid of them all cause of some noise complaint.

here are some other pics of them.

they are all the same age too...I bought them as baby baby chicks about 3-15-13

According to the combs, those are both males. You can wait a while to see how things turn out, or go ahead and look for homes now.

And I know it's hard when it's your kid's bird, but really they get over it pretty quick. I think we worry about it a lot more than they do. Plus, they take their cue from you. If you make a huge drama of getting rid of the bird, so will they. If you're matter-of-fact and "the rules say we can't have boy chickens so he has to go live with someone else", well, they take it lots better.

how old are they? I would wait till at least 15-16 weeks of age for true gender. these are easter eggers and can be difficult to sex at an early age. comb wise says cockerels but over all coloring looks more like a pullets. right now I would just wait till they got older

At 6 weeks that is too much red on the combs, those are roosters.

Just to be clear, the final photo only shows the black and white rooster, right? That bird next to him is NOT the same as your 3rd photo of the red bird with the large comb?

It would be nice for the people on BYC to get a body shot of the red bird with the large comb (3rd photo down), so they can see the rooster feather patterning happening there. It is the same pattern happening with the black and white bird.

Sorry about that
hmm.png

I agree with hdowden, though, in that you should always wait until they start crowing before you actually get rid of them. Then you'll be 100% sure.

Was told all were pullets, yet out of 4 I have two that look the same, and two that are different.

the white one and the dark one are bigger, and their combs are more developed, the two identical ones combs pretty much are still non-existent. And not sure if it means anything but the white and the two identical birds like to hang out together alot and when they move to different parts of the yard they stay together, but the brown one I find by itself alot, and then runs to the rest of the flock and then the white one and the dark one kind of bump chests...

two males establishing territory boundaries????

the white one is my 4 year olds and she would be absolutely devastated if I had to get rid of it which if its a male and stays semi-quiet wont happen, but Im in the middle of omaha and Im already a bit worried 2 of my direct neighbors (behind and next door on one side) dont approve. I wouldnt mind having a man-bird for the ladies I just dont want to end up having spent almost 1k on a house and run, and many many hours designing and building it, and the countless fights it caused with the wife, just to have some city asshat come cite me and force me to get rid of them all cause of some noise complaint.

here are some other pics of them.

they are all the same age too...I bought them as baby baby chicks about 3-15-13
cockerel, cockerel, third picture white cockerel with pullet.

Given these sppear to be mixed, I can't really say what they are at this stage. Yes, you might have a couple of roosters, but you might not. With mixed breed birds, there are just too many possibilities. I would not be surprised if the white one was a rooster, but you'll have to just wait to see. There are many breeds of chickens where the hens have fairly large combs and big tails. Look at the speckled Sussex here, for instance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_(chicken) Pretty birds, but they'll drive you crazy guessing the sex before they fully mature.

Have patience, you'll know by August. And who knows, your 4 year old may loose all interest in the chickens by then.

Back
Top Bottom