1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seedling Heat Mat - Brooder Warmer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CalgaryFarmer, Jun 14, 2015.

1. CalgaryFarmer

CalgaryFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What would the surface temp of that mat run without the thermostat?

3. CalgaryFarmer

Here is the seedling mat.

https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/MT10009

It is 107 watt spread over 6 2/3 square feet. Think of the heat from a 100 watt bulb spread over the same space. The description of the product states "Warms root area 10-20˚F over ambient temperature to improve germination". So to touch the surface of the mat, that is probably about how the temperature feels. A moderate warmness.

These mats are $65 on amazon.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. CalgaryFarmer

It turns out my themastat is not working so I removed it. Therefore, the seedling mat is always on.

I raised the front of the dog carrier about 2 inches off the ground, to introduce some cooler air, as it will likely be too hot otherwise. The temperature at the front is just under 90. I suspect that it is warmer at the back.

5. CalgaryFarmer

I have to say I am pretty happy with how this has worked out. I wish the thermometer had worked properly. I will get it replaced for next time. It certainly worked well without the thermometer.

6. CalgaryFarmer

I am getting 14 new babies in a couple of days.

I have modified this set up.

I have attached the seedling warmer to the dog crate lid. As well you can see the thermostat sensor hung from the roof.

[​IMG]

I have a new thermostat.

[​IMG]

Here is what the brooder will look like. You can see the end off the seedling warmer sticking out.

[​IMG]

I use another thermometer to check the temperature in the middle of the brooder to ensure that the temperature is suitable. I attached it to a piece of cardboard so I can push the thermometer into the middle of the brooder. I have it upright so the thermometer is a bit off the floor of the brooder.

[​IMG]

Not shown is that I put a towel on the brooder to keep the heat inside.

I have tested this setup and it seems to work quite well.

Last edited: May 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by