seeds vs starts....

I used to do started plants, but they are expensive and I was really unimpressed with the variety that are offered. When you do seeds, you can buy packets and plant as many as you need, and save the rest. Also, there are a ton of different varieties of plant available when you start from seed. Most heirloom plants do not come started, so you can only get them if you start seeds. I really enjoy it. My suggestion would be to invest a little in your seed starting supplies. Creating a growlight for seedlings from a florescent shop light will do you wonders and your plants will grow strong and healthy. It only costs like $50.

Start from seeds myself. Much better variety because I don't just want a red tomato, I want pink, orange, striped, yellow and purple!
smile.png

I've used both it depends. For the most part I use seeds not just for the cost, but also because I get a better sense of accomplishment when I see the finished product after growing something from a tiny seed. :)

Seeds. 100x cheaper. Go broke buying set plants. Talk about your $42 tomato or whatever that book title was.

Plus, if you love gardening, this IS gardening, a nice part. It is still crummy weather, but you get to play in dirt, and plant seeds. It's all good.
thumbsup.gif
Keeps your mind busy while you are itching to hatch chicks eh Fred?

I need to get my tomatoes started soon. Last year I did them in March and I had tomatoes way too late.

thumbsup.gif
Keeps your mind busy while you are itching to hatch chicks eh Fred?

I need to get my tomatoes started soon. Last year I did them in March and I had tomatoes way too late.

aoxa, when do you get seedlings in the ground? I can't start seeds for most things (super-hot chiles excepted) until late March, because our property will be so wet in the spring that I won't get them in the ground until the first week of June. If I were to plant any earlier, the seedlings would get leggy because the grow lights just wouldn't be able to give them enough light. If you're getting things in the ground in Canad before I can in Ohio, I'm going to be miffed.
lol.png

Last edited:
aoxa, when do you get seedlings in the ground? I can't start seeds for most things (super-hot chiles excepted) until late March, because our property will be so wet in the spring that I won't get them in the ground until the first week of June. If I were to plant any earlier, the seedlings would get leggy because the grow lights just wouldn't be able to give them enough light. If you're getting things in the ground in Canad before I can in Ohio, I'm going to be miffed.
lol.png
June :) It is usually around June 10th before we are done risk of frost.

They do get a little leggy. I don't have any grow lights on them though.

I always start seeds in waves..extends my garden output... i start cabbage,..and other cold loving plants in early feb. they usually can go in the ground late march early april.i live in nothren illinios...then i start tomatoes i use individual pots the grow bigger plants and you can plant the seed deeper in the pot which creates stronger plants and thicker stems. the indidvidual pots i get by keeping them from one i have bought or the dollar store usually has them for about 10 for 1. i prefer pastic to peat etc because i reuse them and reuse them... paper dixie cups are a favorite of mine also.

I started peppers a month ago. Started tomatoes a few weeks ago and transplanted to bigger pots today. And then started a bunch of new seeds today. Need to order more plant bulbs now....
Then whatever doesn't work, I buy at the stores.

I'm looking at the baker creek book to see if there is anything else I "have" to have.

I find that my favorite starter pot is a Styrofoam cup. Poke holes in the bottom, often put vertical cuts in the sides as well, and stuff them into plant flat trays. They seem to do much better than the 6 packs that come with the trays. Don't know if it's b/c they are bigger, or perhaps the Styrofoam insulates the roots and keeps them warmer. If I wasn't so lazy, I could re-cycle more cups than I could ever use by collecting them from the coffee drinkers at church. (maybe this year!) I won't use peat pots. Stuff just gets moldy and damps off when I use them.

Back
Top Bottom