seeds vs starts....

Normally I buy plants from my local hardware stores or nursery. This year tomatoes are almost $5 per plant, and very sad looking. So, this will be my first year starting tomatoes, peppers, and all of my herbs from seeds. I have an old platic shelving unit and a clear shower curtain for my makeshift greenhouse. It aint pretty, but it'll have to do. Hopefully I'm not too late starting with seeds. Normally I have everything planted by the last weekend in February.

Normally I buy plants from my local hardware stores or nursery. This year tomatoes are almost $5 per plant, and very sad looking. So, this will be my first year starting tomatoes, peppers, and all of my herbs from seeds. I have an old platic shelving unit and a clear shower curtain for my makeshift greenhouse. It aint pretty, but it'll have to do. Hopefully I'm not too late starting with seeds. Normally I have everything planted by the last weekend in February.

You'll love starting from seed, and it's definitely not too late- at least here. Still too early up north to start seeds like tomatoes and peppers (unless you have a really big and bright place to grow them on for an extended amount of time). Your greenhouse idea sounds perfect!

You'll love starting from seed, and it's definitely not too late- at least here. Still too early up north to start seeds like tomatoes and peppers (unless you have a really big and bright place to grow them on for an extended amount of time). Your greenhouse idea sounds perfect!
Thanks pinusresinosa, I'm starting them this evening. It is perfect weather here, 81 and sunny today:) I may not need that makeshift green house after all.

81 huh. That's about um, 70 degrees warmer than where I am today.
smack.gif

tongue2.gif

Good morning,
I prefer seeds. I like to know that my plants are not 'adulterated' with GMO stuff. I recently read an article stating that several plant starters bought at Lowes' were GMO - not labelled so, of course.. I will not be buying from them again.......
It makes for more work, but at least I know what I have. My favorite seed companies are Vermont bean, Jungs, Pinetree, Johnnys & Natural Gardening Co. - they all subscribe to the non-GMO pledge.
Sue
caf.gif

Seeds because it is cost effective. You just have to get weather predictions and plant them on time. It's a bit more work but a lot cheaper. Boskelli1571 what was the brand of that seed?

Seeds....they are cheaper...but more work. In my neck of the woods you have to start them inside fairly early. But you do get a wider variety of plants that way.

I always order from Gurneys, Park Seed, and Seed Savers. I am not really concerned about non-GMO seeds.

Seeds because it is cost effective. You just have to get weather predictions and plant them on time. It's a bit more work but a lot cheaper. Boskelli1571 what was the brand of that seed?

OK - the article was in this months Mother Earth. It doesn't refer to seeds but to nursery plants than contain neonicotinoid pesticides. The pesticide residue lingers for a very long time, so can contaminate your soil. Admittedly it would be a minute amount from 1 plant, but the cumulative effect has the potential to be serious.
The article states that plants such as strawberries,tomatoes & zucchini were 'contaminated' along with flower plants.

Back
Top Bottom