Seeking Advice!

Stetsy'sMom

Hatching
May 22, 2017
I hatched 4 mandarin ducklings, but it has been 24 hours and none will eat or drink. One seems lethargic (just hatched yesterday evening) but the others don't. A really weird thing is they won't walk. They scoot around. I'm trying to get into a vet, but any advice until then would be appreciated. I have dipped their bills in electrolyte water and served them wet, smashed chick starter (non-medicated). No success.

I never force Ducklings to eat or drink...I make a soupy wet mash and I will peep and quick to them as I use my fingers to tap on the food dish....24 hours isn't that long to go without eating..They are still absorbing the yolk......

Ducklings don't eat for the first twenty-four hours after they hatch, since they're still absorbing nutrients from the yolk inside the egg they hatched from.
Very weak ducklings may need a little extra yolk nutrition before they're ready for starter crumbs. Feed them a bit of mashed duck egg yolk until they become more interested in the starter crumbs.

Back
Top Bottom