Seeking integration advice...

JAL

Chirping
Jan 19, 2021
30 miles north of Tulsa, OK
I have questions on the best approach to integrating the mother and chicks into the flock. The pics are from years ago, but they were taken at good angles to show the setup.

In the main coop and run, I have 8 hens (2 yr old), one rooster (2 yr old), and one 8 yr old, retired hen. The rooster has a good disposition but would likely appreciate a few more ladies. In the small coop, I have the mother hen (2 yr old), and her 4 chicks (2 weeks old).

The small coop is parallel to the run and next to the run gate. The flock sees the hen and chicks every day. The main coop and small coop are secure with hardware cloth. The run is covered with 2x4 welded wire.

I do have a portable fence and could try a ‘free range’ approach but hesitate because predator attacks are very common. One possibility would be to create a ‘tunnel’ between the small coop and run? Add cardboard boxes with smaller openings to the run for hiding? I do know to provide multiple sources of water and food when integrating. Ideally, all need to be back to either the small or large coop at night.

Any advice on chick age for integrating, approach to integrating, and general advice given my setup is much appreciated!

Attachments

• DSCF0469.JPG
    DSCF0469.JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    898.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    793.9 KB · Views: 10
I agree - don't wait too long. As the chicks age, the broody protection hormone starts to drop. Sometimes hens 'forget' their chicks at 3-4 weeks. I want mine fully integrated into the flock by then.

Adding some hideouts, some clutter to your run would help. Pallets up on blocks, or against a wall, boxes, chairs or stools, things that let chickens get away from each other and out of sight. Do set up your multiple feeders so that birds eating at one station is out of sight of birds at another.

Mrs K

Thank you for the advice! I used a tarp to create a path between the small coop and the run, and then opened everything up. The chicks and mother hen joined the flock within an hour. The mother's broody protection is still VERY strong. No trilling or puffing up. She simply gives a measured attack to any other hen that looks at her chicks sideways! She and her chicks have their choice of any food or water station. By noon, it was funny to see the other hens run past the chicks if they came too close. I am sure this will change, but for now all is good. The mama hen even tried to move the chicks into the main coop last night, but the 4 foot rise to a new environment was slightly too much for the chicks. Hopefully she will try again tonight.

The run measures 30' x 8'. The broody hen was moved from the main coop a week before hatching the chicks because the other hens were trying to move her out of the favorite nest box. So, they have been separated for 3 weeks today. The door to the small coop and the gate to the run are on the back side and close to the nest boxes. Graphic attached.

Attachments

• RunAndCoopSetup.png
    RunAndCoopSetup.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 9
Oh okay so it's not like you've had her out of there for a long time so they're used to her. Your run seems an okay size to put her in with them and just observe and see how the others do with her having them in there, they will be curious at first, and the mama may puff up at them and trill growl as a warning to stay away, that may be all they need. You could try that and then move if need be. At night maybe still separte into the smaller coop for a few weeks until the chickens/chicks get a little more acclimated to each other and begin to ignore.

Back
Top Bottom