Seeking integration advice...

Oh wonderful. You can also create a mini ladder for them (I sometimes just take chicken wire and zip tie it to a couple of long branches) nothing big as far as width but long enough (and angled so the grade isn't super steep) where they can access the main coop until they're able to fly up. Something you can just prop against it and move when you need too. Glad she's been able to show the others she's not messing around.

Oh wonderful. You can also create a mini ladder for them (I sometimes just take chicken wire and zip tie it to a couple of long branches) nothing big as far as width but long enough (and angled so the grade isn't super steep) where they can access the main coop until they're able to fly up. Something you can just prop against it and move when you need too. Glad she's been able to show the others she's not messing around.
I do have wood ramps built up to the coop and also up to the roost. The chicks seem to be attached to their original nest in a 30 gallon tub placed on its side which is in the run. The chicks will follow the mother up to the coop, look around a bit, and then fly down to their original nest.
Do I dare move the tub into the main coop with the hopes they will stay in the coop?

That is exactly what I would do. Chicks can get homed. If I am raising the chicks myself, I get them homed to a dog crate. I put the dog crate in the run, and open it, at dark they go into it, and I put it in the coop. After a couple of days, I open it in the coop, and let them out, later putting it in the run. After a few days, I just leave it opened in the coop.

I re-thought this. I think if you remove the tub from the run, they will not have that option and will go with mama.

Mrs. K

Back
Top Bottom