Seeking Mycoplasma free eggs or chicks

Infectious Laryngotracheitis, ILT

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/83/infectious-laryngotracheitis-ilt

It is generally a commercial factory farm disease that has been showing up more in hobby flocks. There was a big outbreak at the NY state fair evidently. I had 100 or so young chickens and bantams in a coop and lost about 70 in a few day period. The deaths have stopped but I have carriers for sure. They go from no symptoms to dead in matter of hours.

Luckily viral diseases don't transmit through the egg so I can hatch replacements from my breeders before the cull using extreme bio security.

Me either! I figured it out before we sent samples to Cornell and they confirmed what I knew. For a couple hundred dollars!

Can wild bird carry this to a flock? seems that they could especial if it can be transmitted even in dust particles
sad.png

Quote:

Can wild bird carry this to a flock? seems that they could especial if it can be transmitted even in dust particles :(

They sure can. But for some reason rarely do. The closer you live to a factory farm poultry house the better the chances of this sort of transmission. I have a friend who ships thousands of chicks a year. Many years ago he did a mass cull to clean up a mycoplasma outbreak and has never seen it again even with sparrow and starlings visiting his pastured flocks. A lot of these "bugs" are much more virulent in poultry species than in wild birds.

Lots of birds penned together it is understandable how it can get out of control fast, kinda like the flue outbreaks, kiddos bring it home from school, parents bring it to work and pass it on to other folks whom go home and give it to more kids till the season is over

Back
Top Bottom