Seemingly abandoned nest

Ohwaddup

Hatching
Mar 5, 2024
So I've had these flock of guinea fowl around my house for a while. They're not really mine they kind of just came, they also don't stay at my house they go everywhere. Today I was wondering where a sound was coming from and this guinea fowl jumped from under a tarp and was really loud. I chose to back off cause I didn't really want to disturb it. I went to check on the spot because it seemed to just walk away. There were 15-20 eggs. So I backed off so the mama doesn't get stressed and abandon them. Well, it's been about 3 ish hours and it's 47°F outside and she still hasn't come back for them. I've read conflicting info on some of these forum posts, that they can survive a day or two because they're shells are thick, but then that and hour by themselves will kill them. Should I leave it be? Or should I try and order in incubator (it will come in 6 days) to help out?

I also forgot to mention that in 2 days it's going to get pretty cold and I've read in this same forum that guinea fowl will abandon their nest at any slight disturbance

So I've had these flock of guinea fowl around my house for a while. They're not really mine they kind of just came, they also don't stay at my house they go everywhere. Today I was wondering where a sound was coming from and this guinea fowl jumped from under a tarp and was really loud. I chose to back off cause I didn't really want to disturb it. I went to check on the spot because it seemed to just walk away. There were 15-20 eggs. So I backed off so the mama doesn't get stressed and abandon them. Well, it's been about 3 ish hours and it's 47°F outside and she still hasn't come back for them. I've read conflicting info on some of these forum posts, that they can survive a day or two because they're shells are thick, but then that and hour by themselves will kill them. Should I leave it be? Or should I try and order in incubator (it will come in 6 days) to help out?
It's entirely possible that you heard the egg song. It's also possible that it is a communal nest and that none of the hens are broody yet.

Since they aren't your guineas, I would leave the nest alone.

I also forgot to mention that in 2 days it's going to get pretty cold and I've read in this same forum that guinea fowl will abandon their nest at any slight disturbance
Guinea hens will fight to the death to protect their nests when they are broody. Doesn't sound like the hen you startled is broody.

It's entirely possible that you heard the egg song. It's also possible that it is a communal nest and that none of the hens are broody yet.

Since they aren't your guineas, I would leave the nest alone.
Ok I guess I'll leave em under the tarp

Guinea hens will fight to the death to protect their nests when they are broody. Doesn't sound like the hen you startled is broody.
So it's not true that they'll leave it at the drop of a feather? Like I said some posts said that there own fowls won't brood if ANYTHING is off like if there is a loud sound near by.

So it's not true that they'll leave it at the drop of a feather? Like I said some posts said that there own fowls won't brood if ANYTHING is off like if there is a loud sound near by.
If a person keeps disturbing an active nest, the hens will abandon the nest to find a "better hidden" nest. If a person takes all their eggs from their nest, they will abandon it if fake eggs aren't left in their place.

A broody hen on her nest is a different situation. It is why they are so vulnerable to predators because they will fight to the death to protect their nest.

The difference is whether they are broody or not as to how easily they will abandon a nest.

I hope you keep us updated on whether or not the Guinea Fowl hens return and brood. I am so keen to know how this story turns out. I'm excited.

@R2elk : I am assuming that the hens take it in turns to sit on the nest, so is there a usual time when they change shifts? For example, at sunrise and/or at sunset? And will the male and the other hens stay nearby or do they go off foraging? Or maybe does the male just stay?

I am assuming that the hens take it in turns to sit on the nest, so is there a usual time when they change shifts? For example, at sunrise and/or at sunset? And will the male and the other hens stay nearby or do they go off foraging? Or maybe does the male just stay?
From what I have seen, the hens do not take turns. Multiple hens will sit on the communal nest at the same time. It can create a situation where the hatch rate is abysmal because they are trying to sit on too many eggs. Eggs get started developing and then get moved to the outer parts of the nest where they get cold and die. It works better in a hot climate than in a cold climate because the ambient temperature is hot enough to keep the eggs alive.

A male may stand nearby guarding the hen and the nest. If a predator shows up, the male may do the "broken wing" ruse trying to lead the predator away. All too often the predator returns to the nest and kills the hen while the lone male goes searching for other hens.

During breeding and laying season the flock usually breaks up into small groups and spreads out.

Back
Top Bottom