Seemingly healthy hen suddenly died

Alydup

Songster
Aug 20, 2018
Today I found my one year old hen dead in the coop. She had seemed perfectly healthy recently and layed an egg yesterday. What could have happened? How worried should I be about my other 2 hens? What signs should I look for that they could be unwell? They seem ok as well. Last week I rehomed my rooster and the very experienced farmer who took him said he was in excellent shape. Should I let him know about my hen passing away in case he has an illness? Thanks for any advice So sad and perplexed.

Today I found my one year old hen dead in the coop. She had seemed perfectly healthy recently and layed an egg yesterday. What could have happened? How worried should I be about my other 2 hens? What signs should I look for that they could be unwell? They seem ok as well. Last week I rehomed my rooster and the very experienced farmer who took him said he was in excellent shape. Should I let him know about my hen passing away in case he has an illness? Thanks for any advice So sad and perplexed.
I’m so sorry about the passing of your hen. Chickens hide sicknesses very easily. She could’ve been internally sick so no signs. Even if they’re sick on the outside, it is visible at the end, this is really a mystery. I don’t think you should let the man who took your rooster know as I don’t think it is contagious.

Sudden death with little or no symptoms is generally not caused by infectious entities. The hen may have had a heart attack or some congenital problem.

I had a chance to better look her over once my kids went to bed and her back was bruised. She had been missing feathers from the rooster and was wearing a saddle. When I looked under it I saw the bruises and a few peck marks around her eyes. Is it possible one or both of my other hens did it to her? Maybe tying to establish a new pecking order since the rooster is gone? She was the most mild of the three but I’ve never noted them to pick on her much. My small frizzle will sometimes peck her once or twice at the feeder but never seemed to bother her much otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom