Seemingly severe bumblefoot but no scab

revmarcie

Chirping
Feb 12, 2016
Dear Friends,
I appreciate all your site comments but I have a problem hen. She definitely had bumblefoot with scab on one foot. The other more swollen foot presented with only a tiny slightly larger than pin head brown dot. We did surgery on the scab foot and attempted it on the more swollen foot --- never could locate a "kernel". It bled a lot. We wrapped up both feet after treating with ointment and vetericyn. The obvious bumblefoot that had scab healed well. The other foot is still very swollen and she cannot stand on it for long at all. I have been soaking her in epsom salts (before attempting surgery) and now after the healing from the attempted surgery. 20 minutes every day. Nothing is helping. Previous to the surgery I used Tricede Neo --- two weeks, no results there either. I am at my wits end here. She is eating well and talking like normal and even laying eggs every other day (Rhode Island Red). She is a lovely girl. I have and still keep her isolated in her own pen now since about mid September or before. Any other hints on this I would surely appreciate. My e-mail is [email protected] (Obviously cannot afford vet bills here we are retired in rural New Mexico).

Thanks for any advice.
Marcie Stretmoyer

Can you post a picture of her foot? It would be hard to know for sure without vet advice, but she could possibly have a staph or other bacterial or mycoplasma infection in her foot. Or she may have injured the foot causing the swelling. I would limit her activity and watch it. Antibiotics are becoming hard to get over the counter for animals by end of this year. Injectable Procaine Penicillin G (refrigerated at many feed stores) can be used in staph infections of the feet, and Tylan 50 can be used in mycoplasma infections of the joints. Let me know if you need dosages. Here is some information about that:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...infectious_skeletal_disorders_in_poultry.html
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/143/staphylococcosis-staphylococcal-arthritis-bumble-foot/

Thanks so much for the information. I will try to get a photo of her foot and post it. Your advice has been really valuable.

Marcie

Back
Top Bottom