Seems like a dumb question to me...

mystry

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
But, my guinea finally hatched some keets today. Do I need to put chick feed out or can they eat the all flock I have? (The moms free range also.)

But do they all really NEED the higher protein starter? Everything I've read says they will get bigger much faster, but is that of any use if you're not eating them?

I've got them in the incubator for the first time, so no moms... I've got chicks in there, too, and I'd like to put them in the brooder together - so I was hoping to put them all on the medicated chick feed.

I raised guinea keets and chicks together one spring..... I was feeding chick starter, chicks were doing great, but, about 50% of the guinea keets were dying. The rest of them hung on but did not grow real well. My veterinarian told me that game bird food would stop the deaths. Their health improved within a few days.

Trust us on this......
1f60a.png

I've got them in the incubator for the first time, so no moms... I've got chicks in there, too, and I'd like to put them in the brooder together - so I was hoping to put them all on the medicated chick feed.

I brood keets and chicks together. Because the keets need the higher protein in turkey or game bird starter, all of mine get the high protein feed. I have never seen any sign of the high protein feed harming the chicks. Feeding keets low protein chick starter can cause harm to the keets.

The only kind I seem to be able to find is somewhat expensive. I am giving my guineas 20% right now, and they have done alright so far. I wish I could just give them some of my whey protein… haha

Back
Top Bottom