Seizure or startled duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by krebolo125, May 19, 2011.

1. krebolo125

krebolo125 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I have almost 3 week old Cayuga ducklings. This is my first time having ducks and we are keeping them in our bath tub with hay etc... I went in last night or morning around 2am and they saw mw and three started to run around a little nervous like I scared them and then one started flailinf on her side in circles and then ended up on her back just lying there!!? I picked her up and she slowly snapped out of it and has been fine since. Did I just startle her and is this a defense behavior or a possible seizure??

Thanks for your help!!

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi,
    Not sure what that was but I know with ducklings and ducks...always announce yourself first in a calm voice.Call out to them before you open the door so they know you're coming.Ducks are extremely sensitive to sudden movements and loud noises. I myself have 3 cayugas and they were very scared as ducklings.Now they're a bit better but they are outside and a year old [​IMG] Good luck with your babies [​IMG]

3. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Before I open the door to the duck barn I always call out to them and start talking to them so that they do not startle. This will ensure that your ducks don't grow up to fear you. I don't know about the 'fainting' your duck did, but it was probably because it's heart was beating so fast in fear from the startle it had.

4. krebolo125

krebolo125 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Ok, thanks for the advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by