Seizure?

Nenanicole

In the Brooder
May 15, 2024
I have 2 videos of my Pekin duck acting strange. She hasn’t been able to walk in over a week and has been getting 1mL of Duravet B Complex daily, Niacin Supplement, Brewers Yeast, and hydration additive to her water. Has anyone seen this before? It almost seems like she is having a seizure. Her eyes don’t roll back or anything but it’s like she looses all muscle control. I’m feeling so sad ): Video 1 Video 2

What about a toxin of some kind? plant, stagnant water something laying around she may have gotten into? How is her poop looking and is she eating? How old?

What about a toxin of some kind? plant, stagnant water something laying around she may have gotten into? How is her poop looking and is she eating? How old?
She is about 6-7 weeks old. Her poop is yellowish/brownish liquid. She is eating her pellets normal and all of the vegetables daily as well. She has only been in her run and in our backyard (always supervised in the backyard) I change their drinking water daily and pool water every 3-4 days. I’m so lost ):

She is about 6-7 weeks old. Her poop is yellowish/brownish liquid. She is eating her pellets normal and all of the vegetables daily as well. She has only been in her run and in our backyard (always supervised in the backyard) I change their drinking water daily and pool water every 3-4 days. I’m so lost ):
How are you giving her the liquid B complex? I would stop the niacin supplement for now if you are giving her 1 ml of liquid B complex a day by mouth so you know she is getting full dose. It is very important that she get the full dose of the liquid B complex since she is eating try giving her the liquid over a small amount of veggies that you are offering or some meal worms but you want to make sure she gets all the B complex. If you put her in the pool can she use her legs?[I wouldn't put her in the pool and leave her but just to see if she can use her legs with the weight being taken off of them.] Always make sure they can get in and out without jumping which can injure legs. All of this not being able to walk and what appears to be a seizure has been going on for over a week? When did you start the liquid B complex? @Nenanicole[/

Here is another way to make sure she is getting the full dose of liquid B Complex https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/safely-administering-oral-medications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
USER]

Last edited:
How are you giving her the liquid B complex? I would stop the niacin supplement for now if you are giving her 1 ml of liquid B complex a day by mouth so you know she is getting full dose. It is very important that she get the full dose of the liquid B complex since she is eating try giving her the liquid over a small amount of veggies that you are offering or some meal worms but you want to make sure she gets all the B complex. If you put her in the pool can she use her legs?[I wouldn't put her in the pool and leave her but just to see if she can use her legs with the weight being taken off of them.] Always make sure they can get in and out without jumping which can injure legs. All of this not being able to walk and what appears to be a seizure has been going on for over a week? When did you start the liquid B complex? @Nenanicole[/

Here is another way to make sure she is getting the full dose of liquid B Complex https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/safely-administering-oral-medications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
USER]

USER]
I have been giving it to her on pellets and she has been getting it for 8 days now. I will stop the niacin supplement's and give it to her on veggies to make sure she gets the full dose! When I put her in the pool, she does use both legs! However, she gets very wet quickly since she has been unable to spread her oils ):

Okay that is good to switch so you know she is getting the full dose of the B complex. We can't know for sure if this is a niacin deficiency but if she doesn't show improvment after you know she is getting the 1 ml then after a week or more we will know it is something elses. But with her legs going out [lameness] it sure sounds like Niacin and Pekins are so prone to it since they grow so fast. Don't give up on her just keep up with the b complex also water therapy even if you have to take a towel afterward and pat her dry water therapy will help her build up her muscles. [If it is cold where you are I'd do water therapy in the tub with warmish water to keep the muscles loose. Once she is feeling better she'll begin to waterproof herself. Also she needs her starter more than veggies becasue the starter has all the nuutrients she needs so keep veggies right now just for her b complex. There is another prodcut called Rooster Booster "Poultry Cell" which will be good to add to her water to all the duckling's water actually. It will help to give their immune system a boost. And should really help your little one that is having problems. Just make sure it's Poultry Cell.
Hopefully this a is just a niacin deficiency and she'll recover. The liquid B complex has sure helped many ducklings get over it we just have to be patient and give them support while it is working.

Okay that is good to switch so you know she is getting the full dose of the B complex. We can't know for sure if this is a niacin deficiency but if she doesn't show improvment after you know she is getting the 1 ml then after a week or more we will know it is something elses. But with her legs going out [lameness] it sure sounds like Niacin and Pekins are so prone to it since they grow so fast. Don't give up on her just keep up with the b complex also water therapy even if you have to take a towel afterward and pat her dry water therapy will help her build up her muscles. [If it is cold where you are I'd do water therapy in the tub with warmish water to keep the muscles loose. Once she is feeling better she'll begin to waterproof herself. Also she needs her starter more than veggies becasue the starter has all the nuutrients she needs so keep veggies right now just for her b complex. There is another prodcut called Rooster Booster "Poultry Cell" which will be good to add to her water to all the duckling's water actually. It will help to give their immune system a boost. And should really help your little one that is having problems. Just make sure it's Poultry Cell.
Hopefully this a is just a niacin deficiency and she'll recover. The liquid B complex has sure helped many ducklings get over it we just have to be patient and give them support while it is working.
Thank you so much. I will definitely make sure she gets the full mL and will start adding the poultry cell to their water! I just put her in the pool and she no longer uses her leg. She’s completely leaned to the side in the pool and only using one leg to kick. Any thoughts?

We can only hope that if this is a deficiency the B complex will kick in.
I wish I knew what this is and why she has lost the use of this leg now, but all we can do is try the B complex and hope it's a niacin deficiency Only a vet can give a real diagnosis and some times even they can't.
If a vet is an option by all means go that route.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom