selecting a bantam breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AprilW, Jun 19, 2011.

1. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    A snake has been slowly taking our chicks (we finally found out that's why chicks were disappearing when I went out to the barn earlier than usual) so now we're down to 3. I'm wanting to purchase some new chicks and was looking for suggestions on what to choose. We've decided on bantams, we love their smaller size and temperaments. What I'm looking for is a bantam that's generally a good layer (3-4 eggs/wk) and, if it isn't asking too much, could potentially be a decent meat breed. I know that's a tall order for a bantam but any suggestions on breed?

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

bantams are not meant to be a meat bird, bantams are typically only 2 lbs full grown, and take 6-8 months to lay and reach close to their full size. The time and money you'd be putting into them honestly isn't worth the meat you'd get out of them. [​IMG] dressed out you'd probably be left with less than a pound of meat.

Good bantam breeds for personality and eggs:

Bantam Leghorns
    Bantam Barred Rocks
    Bantam RIR
    D'uccles
    Old English Game bantams

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Bantam Cochins of coarse [​IMG] they lay well at least 3 eggs a week when they are not broody...a plus if you want to hatch some chicks.They run to you and stand on your feet until you pick them up-even the roos are sweet as can be.Then,when you ask them a question they will answer you in a very sweet little voice as long as you ask they keep talking. They are super kid and family birds.Can you tell we love our bantam Cochin's here [​IMG] I couldn't amagine not having them here..or having other bantams.
    However,I wouldn't be getting any more birds until you fix the snake issue

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I have to say that my Bantam Barred Rocks - or any bantam rocks - you cannot ask for a better bird. Meat wise as a bantam like previously said - not good. But I currently have a breeding pen with three hens in it - and some days i get three eggs - but always always at least two a day out of three hens. Calm - friendly - inquisitve - excellent foragers - quiet - they simply cannot be beat!!!!!

5. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I love our d'Uccles! They are sweet and talkative and you have to love those feathered legs! [​IMG]
    great egg layers too! an egg almost every day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I have a bantam faverolle who is quite chunky. I believe the standard size was first bred by the french as a dual purpose breed so I assume you could try with the bantam too. She started laying a little later than the other breeds I have but I get an egg almost every day from her. Very easy birds to catch.

As for snakes, I fully enclose my coop in 1cm square wire, on a concrete slab, with about 30cm high of metal sheeting up against the wire all around the base. A snake has NEVER got in, which is dam good for australia near a creek. It also keeps rats and mice out, except for really young mice, but we've only ever had two get in.... the chickens enjoyed the snack!

7. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    While they are definitely not a meat bird, they lay a surprising amount of eggs, adn they are bigger than a lot of bantam eggs. Try modern game bantams. I have had cochins, silkies, duccles, seramas, still have oegb and Modern Game Bantams by far have the best attitudes, friendly and easy to tame, and are very hardy.

8. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    When tractor supply had there bantam I got a mix of breed including a bantam cornish. Out of all of them, my old english game is the best. I would say next to that would be my Cochin, but she has become more friendly since she has been in the house recovering from a raccoon attack. The games can fly, so they are great at getting away from predators.

[​IMG]

9. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    Thanks for the suggestions. The snake was taken care of as soon as I found out that's what was happening. [​IMG]

So based on suggestions and what I like best personally, these are my top picks: Bantam Barred Rock, Bantam EE, D'Uccle, and possibly Cochin.

10. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    bantam cornish r kinda plump, seabrights rnot to good at being mothers but sweet and alert, duccles r like one of the nicest i have had, cochins r so easy for predators because of their sweet slow nature, japanese r good mothers and flighty to, silkies r good mothers and cute and nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by