1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Selenium Deficiency in Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Fennel, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Fennel

Fennel Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    I have had a young (one yr.) Nigerian Dwarf doe for a couple months now. Very friendly and healthy, and we love her. Starting this past weekend, she became very weak in her hindquarters. No obvious problems. She's still eating well, peeing and pooping when I stand her up. She's had all of her vaccinations, including botulism, and worming. The only thing we can come up with is a selenium deficiency. My vet confirmed yesterday that our area is very low on it. I'm in Kentucky.

I've started her on a mineral supplement, and ordered a selenium/Vitamin E gel online. I carry her around (good thing she's little), and when I set her down on her feet, she'll stand for a minute, and then go back down.

My other goat, a pygmy, is fine. Anyone else dealt with this? Ideas?

thanks

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What did the vet advise? I thought there was a selenium injection available?

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another differential for hind limb weakness is p. tenuis. That usually starts as hindlimb paralysis and ascends from there. Definitely worth keeping in mind if the selenium doesn't help.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ

I think the injection is called Bose. People use that in areas deficient in selenium (you can find out by testing the soil)

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You would be better off to give her an injection of BoSe. It is a lot faster and more effective than the things you mentioned. Among other things, selenium deficiency can cause muscle weakness and heart failure. We used to routinely inject our newborn kids, calves, and lambs with BoSe. You may have to get it from the vet. I forget what the dosage is but that shouldn't be hard to find out.

6. Fennel

Fennel Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    Update:
    Priscilla is about back to normal. It was amazing how fast the selenium/vitamin E paste worked. Thanks!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by