Self-aware geese

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Gussie and Golly now KNOW when they are misbehaving. There is a short fence (about to be replaced by a taller fence) that separates the poultry side of the property from the non-poultry side. It's too tall for the runner ducks to cross, and most of the chickens either aren't good at flying or simply don't care to venture over it.

But the geese have repeatedly crossed the barrier for the greener grass on the other side. I have resorted to bringing out Dinah, the terribly interested rescue terrier, to walk behind them and encourage them back over the fence.

I just went outside alone and spotted Gussie and Golly on the wrong side of the fence. As soon as I said their names, they stopped, looked at me -- still half a yard away -- and promptly flew back to the right side of the yard. I was so proud of my little miscreants!!

I know when mine know they have something they shouldn’t.

First sign: goose standing tall staring in my direction while chewing on something.

Second sign: as soon as we make eye contact the goose starts running in the opposite direction while chewing on the forbidden object. 🙄😂

Gussie once made me chase her around the yard to retrieve one of my coop-cleaning gloves. Normally, they are just content to nibble on stationary objects. Yesterday, however, one of them decided to clamp down on the (very small) wing of one of my newer runner ducks. The duck clearly didn't understand that geese are allowed in the duck pool, but ducks are not allowed in Gussie and Golly's pool. We had a little talk about sharing after that.

Gussie once made me chase her around the yard to retrieve one of my coop-cleaning gloves. Normally, they are just content to nibble on stationary objects. Yesterday, however, one of them decided to clamp down on the (very small) wing of one of my newer runner ducks. The duck clearly didn't understand that geese are allowed in the duck pool, but ducks are not allowed in Gussie and Golly's pool. We had a little talk about sharing after that.
Silly Goosies!

Back
Top Bottom