Self blue Belgian d'Anver bantam five weeks old

August Coldwell

Chirping
Feb 26, 2021
Hi, Everyone! Below is a picture of one of two self blues. They are magnificent little ones: both very friendly, docile, and trusting. Both are developing muffs and beards. And both drop their wings to the same extent. However, one is growing at a much faster rate than the other. The photo is of the larger one.
self blue.JPG

Any help telling if this is just a faster growing pullet or a cockerel?

my guess is pullet but breeds with smaller combs can be tricky, pictures of saddle feathering may help but they may be too young to give a confident answer just yet

I don't have a guess for your chick, but I did want to mention that not al birds will grow at the same rate or be the same size even as adults. I had 2 Silver Lace Wyandottes, same age, same hatch batch, same everything. One was significantly larger than the other, at least 6" taller. Both were excellent egg layers though and my Barred Plymouth Rock that I was convinced was a rooster, she laid eggs weeks before the other two!

my guess is pullet but breeds with smaller combs can be tricky, pictures of saddle feathering may help but they may be too young to give a confident answer just yet
Thank you for your reply. I agree it is probably too early. I'm just stumped by the difference in size. They have a sixteen square-foot brooder with two feeders and two waterers and they have been enjoying a sprinkling of mealworms once per week. They are both active to the same degree. Just different sizes.

I don't have a guess for your chick, but I did want to mention that not al birds will grow at the same rate or be the same size even as adults. I had 2 Silver Lace Wyandottes, same age, same hatch batch, same everything. One was significantly larger than the other, at least 6" taller. Both were excellent egg layers though and my Barred Plymouth Rock that I was convinced was a rooster, she laid eggs weeks before the other two!
That is great to know. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom