Self Blue (Lavender) Silkie Thread

Updated pics! I think the mystery is solved. I think we have a splash. Three more hatched the next day. I think I see two blue, the little splash and a dark blue or black one. Just wanted to say thanks for your help. I'm a little disappointed it wasn't lavender, but thrilled to have a splash when I didn't think it was possible.

So this little one hatched from my BBS/Paint flock. Grampa was a blue cream looking bird that popped up in a paryridge flock. As a chick it was orange and blue. Not Splash or blue. Can self blue come from creamblue?

Self blue can only come out if both parents carry the self blue gene. It's possible the blue cream does. If so and the other parent does also, it could be self blue. My bet is that it is a splash or dilute splash, which is a completely different color line from self blue and comes from blue lines. You can cross anything that carries the self blue gene and then cross their young back to that parent and you can get some self blues. Self blue is a recessive gene so won't express itself unless both parents carry that gene. Splashes look solid self blue when hatched, but the splashes start coming in before too long.

Self blue can only come out if both parents carry the self blue gene. It's possible the blue cream does. If so and the other parent does also, it could be self blue. My bet is that it is a splash or dilute splash, which is a completely different color line from self blue and comes from blue lines. You can cross anything that carries the self blue gene and then cross their young back to that parent and you can get some self blues. Self blue is a recessive gene so won't express itself unless both parents carry that gene. Splashes look solid self blue when hatched, but the splashes start coming in before too long.

Blue cream should be pure for the lavender (self blue) gene, and should not have the blue gene. My splash chicks don't usually look like self-blue chicks; they tend to have some variations in colour, which the self blues do not.

But truly, when you are wondering about chick colour, the first question to always ask yourself is "what variety were the parents?"

Hi all- I currently have 2 self blue lavender silkies. I'm looking for hatching eggs. My contact got out of breeding these silkies and I'm dying to add more to my flock. Thanks!

i wont be able to breed them for a few more months, and mine are showgirls -but those do not always breed true and you will get a decent amount of normal silkies from them. what i found interesting is that ideal poultry has them for offer. yes they are lower quality silkies, but i am gambling for 1 good one out of 10 to diversify my gene pool. they did seem more fragile than the 'red' silkies i got from them but not as delicate as the black topped white polish i got (lost all 10 of those before 2 months) -so their gene pool is probably limited, i think i lost 4 of the lavenders. 2 of the remaining ones have white skin and one has extra weird toes. there is a person on ebay with them but a dozen is usually about 65 at auction. that being said i bought 2 dozen of the showgirl ones at 60 each plus shipping and hatched out only 5 total, and now 4 months later i have only 1 pair for all that work. the lavender gene is linked in many species to health issues. one option that will be easier is to get black silkies split for lavender (which i wil;l be breeding as soon as my male is able)-if you already have a lavender then you are good for a 75% chance, and the addition of the black birds is more gene diversity.

they are about 2 months old right now and at that awkward stage where they look half naked and pulled through a hedge backwards, they arent at their best photogenically . i was pleased that none had straight combs, unlike the red silkies which one does.

Back
Top Bottom