Self Blue (Lavender) Silkie Thread

Hi, Everyone has beautiful lavs and I hope to get some soon.

I am not sure if this has been discussed already but I have a very nice black cockerel but he has gold in his hackles would it be ok for me to use him to improve lavenders?

Thanks,
Mattjew

Ready for a cute suprise!

I just hatched these cuties, they are Lav/Grey splits
jumpy.gif

My grey hen took an instant liking to my lav roo...... I figured what the heck, I'll try to use her for some splits.
The result SUPER CUTE!!!

Anyone else tried this combo for splits? Could there be problems with using a gray for splits?
I was kind of thinking red brown leakage, esp since they appear totally partridge at this point.
I know Grey is a "partridge" without the gold or brown, the chickies have the brown on their back though. I found that to be very interesting!
Here's some pics of the little cuties!

56059_lavgraysplits1oct10.jpg

56059_lavgraysplits2oct10.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks!!
big_smile.png

I've been reading you have to be careful with blues and splashes. I keep my Blue rooster and splash hen seperate for that reason. When I first started getting silkies, I just ignorantly bought whatever color caught my eye
roll.png

I have since narrowed my flock down to focus on the lavs.
I just couldn't part with my gray hen though, she is such a character!
She was terribly neglected (her nails were as long as my fingers!!), and unsocialized when I first got her so she has really grown on me over the past few months of working with her.
I'll keep posting picks as these cuties grow, it will be interesting to see what they grow up to look like!

~Steph

Quote:
Hi Matt!
I am by no means one of the experts here..... However, I do know you have to be careful with gold and red tones bleeding through in the lavs. I have been told that is actually a reason to use blacks, to get rid of those tones if they do occur.
That is kind of my worry right now with the little lav/grey splits I just hatched. They appear totally partridge at this point so I worry about the gold and red tones bleeding through when they are bred back to Lavender
hmm.png

Then again there could be absolutely georgeous results!

Best of luck!
~Steph

Quote:
Hi Matt!
I am by no means one of the experts here..... However, I do know you have to be careful with gold and red tones bleeding through in the lavs. I have been told that is actually a reason to use blacks, to get rid of those tones if they do occur.
That is kind of my worry right now with the little lav/grey splits I just hatched. They appear totally partridge at this point so I worry about the gold and red tones bleeding through when they are bred back to Lavender
hmm.png

Then again there could be absolutely georgeous results!

Best of luck!
~Steph

Awesome chicks Cheshie!!!

Steph, Oh I no that blue and splash mixed with lav is a HUGE no no!! No No No!! LOL!!!
Talk about really screwing it up!!
I hatch partridge alot and yours look REALLY light in color compaired to regular partridge chicks.
Who knows how they will turn out but they are jsut so cute ya gotta luv em no matter what!!

Quote:
LOLOL! For some reason so many people think that one is a brilliant idea! I almost thought it was, then did my homework. Thank goodness for you more experienced folks
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh WOW! Now I'm even more excited to see the little buggers grow up
pop.gif

I remember reading from folks more experienced in genetics than I, that grey is a separate gene all by itself. It's NOT partridge with grey and silver in place of gold and red. You may not have leakage problems at all. Check it out with our gene experts.

Back
Top Bottom