Self blues, what bantam breeds have this color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by seedcorn, Sep 23, 2008.

1. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Love the color. I assume they breed true unlike the other blue where you get black and splash?

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, Self blue aka Lavender is not related to the Blue gene which can get you black, blue, and splash depending on the crosses.

One bantam breed I know comes in self blue is D'anver, since I have some. Here's some pics. [​IMG] They're beautiful, but more wild, of course I bought them from a breeder who didn't handle them much (but their quality is so high it's worth it)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Lavender Silkies, Lavender OEG, Lavender D'Uccle, and as I've just found out recently, Lavender Ameraucanas...

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Self blue in fact does breed true. It is a recessive gene, so if bred to say, a black, you would get all black birds, carrying a copy of the gene, but self blue x self blue = 100% self blue.

ameraucana
    cochin
    d'anver
    d'uccle
    dutch
    modern
    oegb
    polish
    silkie

I'm sure there are a few more...

5. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Those are d'Uccles

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    QuailHollowPointers: The D'uccles are so pretty, if I didn't have too many babies I'd have a pair. That male looks like it has some cream or is it the angle? If he does then he's a porcelain instead of self blue. I have some porcelain dutch pullets and I think the mix of cream and blue is so pretty.

8. QuailHollow

9. QuailHollow

10. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:By the way, do you have any idea how one gets the 'black and tan' D'uccle color as seen in the first picture?

I don't know how they do that either, were they from Millie parents? I'm curious too. I have to correct myself on the D'Uccles when I said I'd have some if I wasn't so filled up. I do have a male and 3 female Mille Fluer D'Uccles, I just always call them Millies so I don't pay attention to the rest of the title...Oops! [​IMG]
    Your male will be really pretty when he's all filled out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by