Self Inflicted?

tpallen24151

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2021
I was watching my daughters flock while she was on vacation. One morning I found one of the girls with what I presume was an entanglement injury that resulting in her being de-gloved from just above her breast bone and up her neck. I say self inflicted as I found a clump of feathers and skin sticking to the outside of the pen fencing.
This happened a week ago and we have been cleaning and keeping it covered in antibiotic ointment. She is now living in a crate in my basement. She isn’t eating very much, will scratch for food she has knocked out occasionally, will take a few treats by hand. She will roost at night and makes normal happy hen noises when we go down to check on her or clean her wounds.
she doesn’t leave the dressing on well and has been preening and debrieding herself.
I have never had chickens before, but I am now invested on saving this girl.
What else should I be doing? Would you try and save her, if she was your hen? My daughter is okay with what I am doing, and understands my attempt (I am an ER nurse, I know humans - not chickens!)
I appreciate your time!
9435AA7E-346C-4271-AF54-3173FFE46446.jpeg

Are you sure that she was not initially attacked by a predator? They tend to try to go for the crop and neck. Is her crop intact? As long as her crop is not damaged, I would spray either 2% chlorhexidene or Vetericyn on it, and continue with the plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. If her crop is open or damaged, she might have food or water leaking from the crop, and that might irritate her. Usually dressings are not needed on chickens, and a clean towel can be used for bedding instead of pine shavings. But if she continues to pick at her wound, an old Tshirt or similar can be tied around her. With your experience in the ER, she is in good hands. She needs to be kept from flies, and separated in a dog crate from her flock, so they won’t peck at her red skin, until it heals more. Later, something like BluKote or gentian violet can be used to hide the wound to help prevent pecking.

Are you sure that she was not initially attacked by a predator? They tend to try to go for the crop and neck. Is her crop intact? As long as her crop is not damaged, I would spray either 2% chlorhexidene or Vetericyn on it, and continue with the plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. If her crop is open or damaged, she might have food or water leaking from the crop, and that might irritate her. Usually dressings are not needed on chickens, and a clean towel can be used for bedding instead of pine shavings. But if she continues to pick at her wound, an old Tshirt or similar can be tied around her. With your experience in the ER, she is in good hands. She needs to be kept from flies, and separated in a dog crate from her flock, so they won’t peck at her red skin, until it heals more. Later, something like BluKote or gentian violet can be used to hide the wound to help prevent pecking.
Yes, she has been separated from the flock and in a crate inside my house. We have been using Vetericin after cleaning and the ABX ointment to keep it moist. Her crop appears to be intact and swells with a little food.
I initially thought predator when I found her till I found the intact clump of feathers stuck to the fence.

Attachments

• F2F4C60B-B40F-4A28-86B2-6007AD6E17BE.jpeg
    F2F4C60B-B40F-4A28-86B2-6007AD6E17BE.jpeg
    749.9 KB · Views: 10
Updated: we have new skin underneath! Thank you for your encouragement. ❤️ This was after our cleaning last night.

Attachments

• A0E4628A-23BF-49B9-B882-E99AD1942CD8.jpeg
    A0E4628A-23BF-49B9-B882-E99AD1942CD8.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 7
Is she doing better now?
I lost this site and subsequent thread, but yes! She is actually the best looking bird in the flock!
There is about a nickel size spot in the middle of her chest that you can see skin, she is just not growing feathers in that spot.
But she is happy, heathy and has regained her position in the pecking order!
I was nervous about them picking on her when reintroducing her, but it was perfectly fine!
In the end, I spent $150 on a $5 chicken - because that is what I do, I take care of and save things. 😂

I lost this site and subsequent thread, but yes! She is actually the best looking bird in the flock!
There is about a nickel size spot in the middle of her chest that you can see skin, she is just not growing feathers in that spot.
But she is happy, heathy and has regained her position in the pecking order!
I was nervous about them picking on her when reintroducing her, but it was perfectly fine!
In the end, I spent $150 on a $5 chicken - because that is what I do, I take care of and save things. 😂
This makes me so happy! Those chickens are in good hands

Back
Top Bottom