Self-proclaimed chicken illiterate:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickaboomboom, Jan 26, 2011.

1. chickaboomboom

chickaboomboom New Egg

Jan 26, 2011
    Hellooo! I'm planning on getting chickens this spring (or whenever you're supposed to get them?). I am absolutely clueless so plan on doing a lot of reading, and a lot of question asking on here. I'm a pet groomer and have been around both large and small animals as well as small birds since I could walk, but this will be a whole new ball game. I will do my best to ask questions in the correct areas as I know from past forums I've been on it's frustrating but I do have a couple quickies that I couldn't find exactly where to put them since I'm still new to the layout and also the lingo.

Without sounding completely cold and heartless...if I get chickens first and foremost for eggs, can they also be used for their meat as well? I'm assuming free ranging means not having them in a "run" which is like a kennel (dog language helps make the transition easier [​IMG]).

I searched the chicken breeds like crazy, but am totally lost. What's a friendly (I have kids too) good egg layer that's able to withstand cold weather? I love the colored eggs, and maybe an unusual looking bird. I plan on 3 hens to start and go from there. I think this site is great already and it's mostly my lack of knowledge, but if you could search specifically for what you need and then have those breeds that meet those requirements pop up would be very helpful. Kind of like match.com for you and your future chickens. [​IMG]

Thanks and look forward to gleaning so much from your site and you guys.

2. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Welcome from NW Washington State! [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Hi! [​IMG]

Take a look at my BYC page, as there are a gazillion articles there to help new folks out.

Hope it helps, and holler at me if you have any questions!
    [​IMG]

5. chickaboomboom

chickaboomboom New Egg

Jan 26, 2011
    Wow you guys are great! Thanks!!! [​IMG] Connecticut here...I think...could be Alaska though as I look out the window right now. [​IMG]

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC were a great help. I blogged about my adventures. Feel free to visit my BYC Page and follow the blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

I have a laying flock. A lot of heritage layers are dual purpose birds, suitable for eggs and the table.

A chicken run is a fenced in area for chickens to exercise, scratch, and dust bathe. It is preferable to have a fully enclosed run to protect from hawks. And to build it from sturdy material like welded wire and hardware cloth to protect from predators like dogs, raccoons, etc.

Free range chickens forage in the yard. My flock used to range over an uncovered run, but decided to free range in my yard. When hawks showed up, I covered my chicken pen and confined the flock.

Hard to go wrong with Buff Orpingtons. Avoid fancy breeds and bantam breeds if you are serious about eating eggs. (My bias)!

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio. We raise chickens for eggs and meat, so yes it is okay for that, just look for some that are considered duel purpose birds. [​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

10. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    [​IMG]

Most of your questions can be answered by clicking on the "Learning Centre" link right at the top of the page. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by