Self-regulating eaters

I decide how much of everything they will eat when I put it into the ferment every day. they will eat only 1/5 corn. It is their choice to prefer the corn. It's like offering broccoli with cupcakes. You gotta eat the broccoli after you eat the cupcakes.

Case in point, I bought Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve about 6 months ago for no particular reason other than people bragging about how their chickens did on that. Mine picked through it even though it was in a raised feeder. I wouldn't put up with it. Now, they are back on layer crumbles and I ferment the HHR, of which they eat completely. ☺️
What is HHR please?

Have you tried making a wet mash with some of the normal complete chicken food? Just add water, and they think it is a great treat.

Since it is a properly balanced food, you don't have to worry about them missing getting full of "treat" and missing some important nutrient.

It can be warm in winter and cool in summer, just by using different temperatures of water.

If you need to lure the chickens somewhere (like back into the pen after free ranging), mash is nice because they cannot pick it up and run away with it (I had that trouble when I tried to use bread crusts as a lure-- they picked up the bread crusts and ran back out.)

It is easy to make any amount you need. They get just as excited about a few bites each as they do about a full bowl of it. The less you use, the more they think it is a "treat," and the more useful it is when you want to lure them somewhere or make them excited. If you leave it available all the time, they will start viewing it the same way they view their normal dry food: something to eat in the right quantity, but no need to rush and gobble it up.

If you ever have a sick chicken that doesn't feel like eating, wet mash will often encourage her to eat more than dry food does.

As you can probably tell, I think wet mash is great stuff for chickens ;)
I will try this. Since I leave a light on in the coop from dark (5-ish) until about 8 p.m., they won't go back in the run, where they are safer from night predators, until very late. They are like little kids, and as long as the light is on and giving a bit of light into the yard, they want to be outside. A reliable lure would be great. I wouldn't have to spend so much time messing about, tryi g to convince them that it's time to get ready for bed, lol!

If you really want to test it: give them so much BSFL that they really cannot eat it up, and keep it that way for at least a few days.

I think you will find that they do self-regulate to some extent (but they may self-regulate at a level that is still too high for good health: like a child with unlimited cookies might self-regulate at 20 or 50 cookies per day.)
What is BSFL please?

Case in point, I bought Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve about 6 months ago for no particular reason other than people bragging about how their chickens did on that. Mine picked through it even though it was in a raised feeder. I wouldn't put up with it. Now, they are back on layer crumbles and I ferment the HHR, of which they eat completely. ☺️
Never mind. HHR=Hen House Reserve. Sorry, I am a slow learner.

What is BSFL please?
Black Soldier Fly Larva

They are commonly marketed as a treat for chickens, usually dead and dried, high in both protein and fat, and usually quite expensive (on a dollars-per-pound scale.) Many people say their chickens love BSFL, some people say their chickens won't touch them, and I have no personal experience because I have never been willing to spend that much money on a chicken treat.

I found flocks that can forage do self regulate better and are healthier. Chicken feeds are mostly corn and all grain so they are not complete. Its important to allow them to forage or add a variety of food to an all grain processed commercial feed.

Never mind. HHR=Hen House Reserve. Sorry, I am a slow learner.
No you're not. We old farts start using acronyms or short versions of things without thinking others don't know what we're talking about. Someone brought this up to me recently about saying cocci for instance when referencing coccidiosis as they actually can be two different things.

Back
Top Bottom