Self segregation?

B3NZ0

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2016
I bought a mix assortment of ducklings early this summer. Ended up with 5 Cayuga 2 Rouen hens a blue Swedish hen and not sure on the last one. My question is if I get a Rouen Drake would the 2 Rouen hens mate souly with him as well as the Cayuga? The all stick together in the same flock(with my 2 Geese as well) but seems as if they separate by breed. The blue Swedish leading the 2 Rouen right behind her the Cayuga in the middle and the Geese in the rear.

Ducks tend to stick with their favorite ducks, as if they are "groupies"- which often ends up being their own breed since the size, temperament, and likes are the same. However, drakes will mate with ANY female, regardless of breed- sometimes they will even mate geese or chickens. So, you will have to seperate them or have mixed breeds- I love my mixes, but it's up to you. If you have Muscovy, and it crosses with ankther breed, they will produce an infertile hybrid called a "Moulard, mule or hinny" duck that won't reprocude or lay. 1 drake to 4-5 hens is sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom