Self-service egg sales or not, how do you handle it?

With only 8 hens you aren't going to have a ton of eggs to sell. When we only had 6 hens we only sold eggs to people we worked with and neighbors. We would drop eggs off to the neighbors and take the co-workers with us to work.

The way we work the money is an envelope inside the egg carton with the person's name and phone number on it. When they receive the eggs they return the envelope (to my mail cubby at work or for neighbors to a basket hanging on the wall by our door)with money and are put to the back of the pile on the fridge door. When they are the one on the front of the pile (next to get eggs) we give them a call (phone number on envelope) and let them know when to expect the eggs. It helps to get the money faster, often they have the money when I deliver the eggs.

How to keep self serve eggs from freezing? I was liking the cooler and frozen jug idea, fantastic (and no expense for the little fridge, Yay!)

What to do in the winter????? Could be below freezing for a few days and nights at a time.

My hens did lay very well last winter, If they keep it up...I will have eggs to sell.

But I also don't want folks coming to the door at any time....

Back
Top Bottom