Self Starting "Old Fashioned Girls" by Choice!!!

I would check out some books from the library on gardening, preserving etc...it can give you a lot of ideas. I really like Mother Earth News and Grit magazine. I have learned a lot and reading the magazine reminds one that doing things yourself saves money and it's better for you. Look around thrift stores or garage sales for older cookbooks. The recipes are usually simpler and easy to follow. Some of my favorite cookbooks are the old ones passed down that were printed a church fundraisers. Those books have a lot of home cooking recipes.

I use my crockpot a lot. It is easy home cooking. Have fun!

Wow thank you everyone! Especially Teresa- great info!
big_smile.png
I am going to check at the community college tomorrow and see if they offer any sewing classes, I know they did at my old one, but I don't know about this one.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Also, since I know nothing about sewing machines, I have this place near me http://www.sew-pros.com/ would they have the good models?

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh, wouldn't it be great if this thread were devoted to all of the self starting Old Fashioned Girls by Choice.
big_smile.png

I know my mother worked and proclaimed disposable diapers to be the best things ever invented. I am her antithesis. We used cloth diapers, stayed home with my kids, taught myself to knit, cook and sew and now we even have those silly chickens. (I'm not very good at the sewing part.) I'm sure she thinks I am completely nuts. I REALLY wish I knew some older ladies with this kind of knowledge to learn from. There's only so much you can teach yourself.

I also love hearing about other "younger" women who are interested in such things. I know I always feel like skills such as knitting and making things by hand are being lost at such a fast pace.

I totally agree, I wish I knew some older folk to learn from, but I know none! Maybe I'll sign up for Bingo... lol.

It's so sad how fast America has gone downhill, people can't even provide for themselves, and now it's a lost art... Well I'm bringing it back I tells ya!

Cari, You may want to try the community centers/adult schools. I took sewing classes there and they were great. They teach the basics and then there are projects to work on like tote bags, table runners, aprons and such. I would take the classes and get use to it before I investing into a sewing machine. I borrowed my sister's brother's sewing machine and if I had not used the nice Bernina's in class I would have given up. My sister's machine was a PITA. After you get the hang of it, you may want to look into a used machine. I walked into a sewing shop and asked if they had any for sale and a lady that was moving into an assisted living sold her machine to me and it is my favorite.

Good luck to you!

Nancy

SnowChic, the Elna and Brother machines would be fine for you as a beginner. Don't let the salesperson talk you into a "bells and whistles" machine that cost lotsa $$$$ if you don't think you will get heavily into machine embroidery and a bazillion fancy stitches. You can always trade up to a fancier machine in a few years but give yourself a learning curve at first. They only had one class on Basic Machine sewing and not any classes on construction, making a simple skirt, mending and repairs, etc. You need to decide what it is that you want to do with your sewing: 1) do you want to mend, learn simple garment making, make your own easy curtains and throw pillows for your home, make kids costumes 2) do you want to take up a hobby like quilting or heirloom sewing 3) perhaps you see sewing as a way to earn extra income? You don't need a computerized embroidery machine to do any of those things.

You would be surprised at the young women who are taking up knitting, weaving, crochet, and quilting. Just do some searches on the internet - starting at Ravelry - and you will see how many men and women are getting into handcrafts. Also, this economy has produced an interest again in canning, freezing, cooking from scratch and bread making.

Guess I'm one of the "older folk" you mentioned - LOL! And if I lived near you I would love to teach you to sew and cook. I've taught cooking classes for the past 30 years and quilting for the past 10 years. I never wanted to be a classroom teacher when I was in college, but it turns out I have the knack for teaching anyway.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need further direction.
Teresa

Back
Top Bottom