Self Starting "Old Fashioned Girls" by Choice!!!

Quote:
hi! my kitchen is medium sized but inefficient, I hope for better one day! I am lucky enough to have a large cold storage room, we call it the pump house because the well pump is in there. But I do think storage is all around any home, under beds, in crawl spaces etc. I do have an extra frig in the pump house and an upright freezer too. I used to have a chest freezer and it seemed to hold more but the upright is soooo convenient.
I know it's hard to get started planning ahead, but try this pick just one day a week and assign it a main ingredient for dinner (chicken perhaps) then write down your 7 favorite recipes for chicken and make them for the next 7 weeks . . .

i must been doing it along but been having my staples[ buying them on sale monthly] on hand all the time.
I know that i have pasta, 2 night fish, soup\\[stews] 2 night left over and pizza or subs or veggie rice dish
but don't buy all of meat for monthy except for ground chuck or ground roast when it is on sale. i make meatloaves and meat balls and divide the meat into 1/2 lb and freeze it.
it not on a set day of the week. i decide what have for supper that night.

now the stores need to put there milk on sale hehe
they have sale on everything else?
Laura

We've been lucky with milk lately. Land 'O Lakes milk was introduced here about 3 months ago and it's 2 gallons for $5. We need a cow and a goat or 2.

I've been watching this thread grow and finally took the time to read every page/post. Lots of great ideas already shared.

First I wanted to say....Congrats for making this decision, Cari ! You won't regret it. Cooking for yourself is healthier and cheaper, tastes better, the benefits are endless. And nothing better than being self sufficient. Go at these things in steps or "smaller bites". What does your schedule allow? One new recipe per week? One new "skill" or craft per month? or two months? Once you learn something, build on that over time.

Some thoughts that may help...

Sewing and such:
Expand on the things you like best and leave it at "the basics" for less favorite things. For example, I can knit and crochet (Grandmother taught me those), and sew (mostly learned on my own)....but I really do little of them. They're not really my thing. I sew a bit more than knit or crochet....basic things I want for the house (tablecloths, cloth napkins, window treatments, etc) and small clothing repairs (buttons, darts, repair seams, etc).

For any sewing classes, check your local community college. My MIL wanted to learn quilting when she retired 7 or 8 years ago. Something her mother did, but she never took the time to learn from her. She found classes at a community college and is now a wonderful, wonderful quilter. She's in her late 70s, and you would think (from her work) that she's quilted all her life!

Food, Cooking, Canning, Kitchen stuff:
I'm much more into gardening, cooking, canning and the functional crafts side of self sufficient living. I started water bath canning with my mom and aunts (dad's side of family). Later after college, I got a pressure canner and started learning that. My grandmother (Mom's side) was a good baker, made her own bread, etc. But she was a "toss together" cook. So, I learned some methods watching her as a kid, but not really recipes. In college, I got interested in bread making and other baking. My grandmother was inspiration, but recipes came from cookbooks. LOL....that was the late 70s and we didn't have the Internet.

If you find you really like cooking, then I recommend getting a small chest freezer. You can get an energy efficient 7 cubic foot chest model at Lowe's or similar stores for about $180. You will save that much money in 6 months by being able to buy meats on sale, frozen veggies in larger bulk size bags, or better yet growing and freezing your own veggies.

To learn canning, check with your local Cooperative Extension Office. Many of them offer classes, at least for water bath canning. Do you have a local farmers market? Start shopping there. You'll get better, local produce there. You may find local meats. AND you may find a canning mentor once you get to know the farmers/vendors.

Chickens and rabbits are a starting point with animals. Can you expand on those over time? Maybe room for at least a pig? DH & I farm and raise our own beef cattle, hogs, chicken, and quail. We can or freeze nearly everything we eat. If you looked in our freezers, you'll find NOTHING commercial. And in the cupboards....you can count the commercially canned items on one hand (olives, capers, etc) We even smoke our own meats and make our own pastrami, deli turkey breast, roast beef, etc for sandwiches.

I have a lot of basic recipes posted on our farm website, here. :
http://www.millriverfarm.com/recipecategories.cfm

ETA: oopppsss....clicked enter and post went up too soon!

Learn to garden!
Can't imagine not liking gardening, but even learning just enough to grow basics will really help you . Start Smaller so you don't get overwhelmed. Realize that you kill a few things before you get good at it. And don't give in to failures! Always remember you will be at the mercy of weather and other natural forces (like bugs) to some degree. All gardeners have good years and bad years. We just never give up....and we're rewarded by better, healthier food....not to mention the terrific sense of accomplishment.

Visit BYC's sister site The Easy Garden in addition to Sufficient Self already suggested.

And keep us posted!
smile.png

Last edited:
Kim_NC, I went to your website and I must say that is one iimpressive site. You said that you make your own pastrami and turkey breast.... that was not on your website. I know my H is from Italy and we make prociutto and sausage but I have never tried to make lunch meat. I would love to make pastrami. could you send a recipe on how you make it.?
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
i must been doing it along but been having my staples[ buying them on sale monthly] on hand all the time.
I know that i have pasta, 2 night fish, soup\\[stews] 2 night left over and pizza or subs or veggie rice dish
but don't buy all of meat for monthy except for ground chuck or ground roast when it is on sale. i make meatloaves and meat balls and divide the meat into 1/2 lb and freeze it.
it not on a set day of the week. i decide what have for supper that night.

now the stores need to put there milk on sale hehe
they have sale on everything else?
Laura

We've been lucky with milk lately. Land 'O Lakes milk was introduced here about 3 months ago and it's 2 gallons for $5. We need a cow and a goat or 2.

I find that when I plan my weekly menu.. it saves me a lot of time and money. I know some sites say to plan a monthly meal planner but I find that the weekly way works better for me. I go to the store weekly and get what I need on my list. Try and have some premeals in the freezer , soups, sauces, casseroles etc.

Not sure if these will be a good fit for you or not, but its worth checking out the Homestead Blessings, 10 DVD set with the West ladies, produced by Franklin Springs.
You can watch a trailer for each dvd here on their products page.
http://www.homestead-blessings.com/products.html/

Titles...
The Art Of----------- Quilting, Sewing, Cooking, Candlemaking, Dairy Delights, Herbs, Gardening, Canning, Bread Making, Soap Making, Crafting

Okay, I have not read everything in this thread, but I love it!! This is a wonderful thread for those of us looking to get back to our roots and cut costs! Thanks so much for all of the wonderful ideas!! I hope to be able to contribute.

Wow AMAZING!!! Thank you everyone!

One quick question; I want to start stocking up on grains and such for cooking, but I don't know where to get them in bulk? The only place we have is something like a Henry's but they are super expensive, like $10 per pound.
idunno.gif
I would love to find someplace to buy grain!

Back
Top Bottom