Seller said Dark Brahma... I have doubts!

jennymerchant

Hatching
7 Years
May 29, 2012
I brought this girl home with 4 others (different breeds) on May 5. She was the only "Dark Brahma" I ordered. I'm new to chickens so didn't question it when I picked her up but now that I've had her a few weeks, I don't think she is a Brahma - there is no hint of leg/feet feathers, her color isn't anything like a Brahma - she is all black with some gold on her chest (and a LITTLE bit on the back of her neck). She is about 12-13 weeks old. I called the seller who said Brahmas can start off black with gold and change color. Really? I'm looking for a second (and third and fourth and...) opinion. Thanks!

She also looks like she has a single comb vs a pea comb. No, dark Brahmas don't start out black and gold with clean legs and magically turn black/white partridge pattern with feathered legs as they get older. Looks more like a black sex link to me.

It's not a Brahma--no feathered legs. Could be a Brahma cross, I guess. The head is shaped like a Brahma and it seems to have a modified pea comb, though the picture is blurred at that location so can't be sure.

Last edited:
Here is a better pic of her head. You're probably right - black sex link. I was kinda hoping she was a Copper Marans but that was a long shot. I ordered a Brahma because of their gentle nature (I have young kids) and winter hardiness (I'm in the Northeast). I don't want to exchange her for another breed, though - I've gotten quite fond of her! She's definitely the bravest and bossiest of the flock (others are easter-eggers and buff orps). But I won't buy from this seller again, not knowing what I'm getting.

Lol, I'm sorry but that's no Dark Brahma. You have yourself a Black Sex-link. She'll lay you eggs like crazy, and they are generally pretty docile.

Back
Top Bottom