Selling chicks, best way to run it, and get the word out?

I am actually trying to start a quail business.
Honestly, shipping live birds isn't a fun thing for my I feel.
But I want to mainly ship eggs, chicks,teens, and adult
Fertile, AND non fertile eggs
How can I start this up?

My sister used Facebook to sell chicks. She started just by posting photos daily of the eggs as they were in the incubators. People started reaching out to her asking if they could buy some when they hatched, she had them make a down payment (half non-refundable if the buyer backs out). She didn't have anyone back out, and she continued to have more people interested so she ended up doing 4 batches of eggs in the incubator.

Does your town have a farmer’s market? I have heard people selling there. If you know someone with a stand you could ask them. I would think a few baby chicks would draw attention to their stand because who doesn’t like cuteness and they may be able to get more customers from it and you sell chicks. I have seen people park in front of our auction barn even when it isn’t open and sell chicks pigs and other small livestock. It really depends on where you live and how many people are able to own and are into chickens. For instance Wall Street New York? No so much. Some small rural town you probably have better luck
I'm in a small town in Washington, and there are lots of farm land, and livestock around my town. I see chickens all the time, I jus feel like going through the trouble to meet someone down the street every time, is gonna be to complicated, plus, if I don't sell all the chicks...

Do not let the complications and problems discourage you from going for it. Go full blast and solve one problem when you come to it. There are many successful breeders out there, and they were not detoured by deflating comments. We wonder about things for a reason. If you keep having the desire to hatch and sale then you must go for it.
Thank you for this! I will end up hatching and selling one way or another, just how to and my plan to do it, is teetering. You right though, just do it and figure it out!

I am actually trying to start a quail business.
Honestly, shipping live birds isn't a fun thing for my I feel.
But I want to mainly ship eggs, chicks,teens, and adult
Fertile, AND non fertile eggs
How can I start this up?
You might want to start a thread of your own so this one doesn't get confusing talking to to different members. Feel free to tag us once the thread is posted!

My sister used Facebook to sell chicks. She started just by posting photos daily of the eggs as they were in the incubators. People started reaching out to her asking if they could buy some when they hatched, she had them make a down payment (half non-refundable if the buyer backs out). She didn't have anyone back out, and she continued to have more people interested so she ended up doing 4 batches of eggs in the incubator.
That is a great idea!

Possible place to start: people are into rainbow egg collections - ee, olive, blue, green; they are into dark chocolate - French Copper Maran; autosexing at birth - Bielefelder; how about a strain of heritage breed that has been forgotten for a production strain.

This is doable, and is being done. An important thing to think about is what breed can you get excited about. Excited to the point that it will motivate you to write detailed advertisements, and enthusiastically pitch a sale on the phone or in person.

As Spencer W. Kimball said, “Do it.”

Back
Top Bottom