Selling chicks in texas

AndreaRa

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
I am wanting to start my small farm incubating eggs purchased from other farms and selling the chicks to locals.
Do I need to obtain any sort of license to do this ?

It looks like you don't need anything if selling from home, but selling at markets looks like they have to be certified themselves
That makes sense, thank you for the info. I am wanted to start up a small chick farm on Facebook to get locals to buy. I didn’t want to run into problems if I needed a pt tested or npip. I enjoy incubating eggs but I’m afraid I can’t keep all.

^while a good idea, it's not required to obtain eggs from NPIP sources.
It isn't required to obtain from NPIP sources, but in most states (and I believe TX is one), it is required for birds to be NPIP in order to sell them either across state lines or in state.
That is in light of the fact that most people tend to ignore requirements.

It isn't required to obtain from NPIP sources, but in most states (and I believe TX is one), it is required for birds to be NPIP in order to sell them either across state lines or in state.
That is in light of the fact that most people tend to ignore requirements.
Well the flock I purchased eggs from are npip but Im not required to have it if just selling the chicks I hatched
correct ?
Now if I hatched my own flock eggs then I would need to get my flock tested I believe.

Well the flock I purchased eggs from are npip but Im not required to have it if just selling the chicks I hatched
correct ?
Now if I hatched my own flock eggs then I would need to get my flock tested I believe.
I'm not well versed in TX requirements except that I know they have more strict requirements for importation of chickens than other states.
I do know that in MO, one is required to be NPIP to sell birds in state no matter the source of the chicks or adult birds.

I want to add that being NPIP doesn't mean a lot in regard to whether a flock is healthy or not. It simply means the flock has not been exposed to pullorum/typhoid. They could be dying from dozens of other diseases that they have not been tested for.
The reason is that P/T nearly destroyed the poultry industry in the US in the 1930s. That was the main concern at the time and could still decimate the industry if it got out of control and it still shows up in multiple states each year.

Back
Top Bottom