Selling colored eggs...do you ask more for them?

Quote:
I second that. Going organic is not cheap. I do it because my oldest boy has cancer and we are very careful with our food now. But I just started to sell so when I asked for 3.50 I thought that was extremely fair. Guess I was wrong....
idunno.gif

I have some blue and brown eggs. I charge $1.50-$2.00 from my elderly neighbors. I see on craigs they ask $2.50 to $3. I say charge what you want and see what people are willing to pay. The olive eggs look neat!

I sell my multicolored eggs to neighbors and co-workers for $4.00 a dozen. They are $4.50 to $5.50 at Whole Foods, etc. Mine aren't "certifiably" organic, but for all practical purposes they are, since I feed them organic layer, and leftover veggies from a local store that sells only organic stuff. The people who want our eggs are willing to pay more, and have offered more, because they've seen these hens, and where the hens live, and see them out in the pasture, and then the eggs are just so beautiful inside and out! But, honestly, it's a losing proposition anyway - IF I were trying to make any profit. But since I GIVE most of my eggs to my daughters, other family, and friends, and we eat them, I want quality eggs for that reason, and to support sustainable farming practices in general, a "voting with your fork" thing. Having chickens is a hobby and a luxury for us, thank goodness - I know the bottom line is essential for a lot of people with chickens, and I completely understand. But it's true, in our area, as in the Bay area, there are lots more people who will pay a premium for organic and truly free-range eggs.

Oh, and in Portland, apparently!

Last edited:
I mix brown, green and blue eggs, and sell for $3.50 a dozen. Except when there might be a frozen (but not cracked) egg in the bunch, then I lower it to $3.00 a doz. MIL gets her eggs free.

Feed is whatever I can afford, plus veggies, fruit, cheese and grains like oatmeal and rice cooked in beef or pork broth.

We're out in the boonies tho so don't sell many during the winter. When my produce starts coming in, we'll have farm-fresh veggies to add incentive for people to make the hour-long drive from Denver.

Thanks guys. This is really giving me some insight on this. I am going to sell organically grown herbs this summer so that will help. Yes, fo rwhoever mentioned farmiling doesn't always make a profit, but i do want to break even, you know. SO I guess I will go down to 3.00, I hope that will be good. If not new game plan I guess.

Carolyn in Snohio

I sell for $3 per dozen - used to sell for $3.50, but the old hens have been replaced with pullets and the eggs are smaller. Price will go up in about a month. Also, I do a mix of brown/cream and blue; 8 blue, 2 brown and 2 cream. Sometimes I will include a duck egg if the customer is interested in trying one but doesn't want to buy a whole dozen.

Once people see where the hens are not housed, but run around the pasture (coop available for those that want to get away from it all), they tell friends about our "pastured" eggs. Right now I could sell 5 times what I have available.

Look at what people in your area want, and you can price accordingly. People here want eggs from "contented" birds, free to run around. Not necessarily organic, but certainly pastured. Cost here isn't the primary concern, although I would say it isn't completely ignored.

Too, I don't need to make money at this. The "egg money" pays for feed, not just for the chickens, but the ducks too, so it's much more than break even for us.

Good luck everyone
smile.png

Depends on your area. There's a guy out in Dixon who sells his organic, free-range, multicolored eggs for $8/dozen. They did a story on him on a local news program not too long ago, maybe a year or so back.

Folks on Craigslist here locally in the suburbs/rural areas around Sacramento sell anywhere from $2 to $6 a dozen. We are just now getting enough to where we'll have to start considering selling off some of our eggs, so I'm thinking I'll sell a multicolored dozen for $3 and will possibly up it to $4 when my FBCM starts laying later this spring (she's only 3 months now). People will pay for good eggs... I know that before our flock started laying, I had stopped buying store eggs (except only once, I had a baking emergency LOL), and I had been buying locally. I had paid as much as $6/dozen for fresh multicolored eggs, but I only paid that much ONCE, primarily because some of the eggs were more on the smallish side than I would have preferred.

Also bear in mind that we are coming up on an excellent time of year for selling multicolored eggs... Easter's just around the corner. It's all in the marketing/labeling and what you put in your ad and on your sign. Hopefully by next year, we will have lots and lots of eggs and are in a position to sell and market them on a small scale. An idea I had for selling some of our colored eggs locally/online at Eastertime as a product to save parents a lot of hassle--these eggs come already colored by the hens, no dying necessary! They can boil their eggs and paint/decorate them however they like. You might wanna give that a try.

Last edited:
I am planning on selling my eggs for 3 dollars a dozen. However, I have some friends who will pay 4 for straight marans. That leaves me eating bantam eggs
lol.png
!!! My OE Bantam hen's egg are teeenny tinnny like, it would take 5 to = a standard egg. Reminds me of Seramas.

Back
Top Bottom