Selling Coturnix quail...pricing?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AimsChickies, Mar 9, 2009.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I had a gentleman ask me how much I would charge per quail once I have some up and running, he is using them to train his bird dogs. I have NO Idea what to charge for that type of thing, does anyone here sell them?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    The lowest I got my adult coturnix for was $3 and thats extreemly cheap for some areas. I thought it was just right- for me as a customer...however I will probably sell any adults people want for $5. Cept when I have lone males (1-2 males) I normally just give them away. [​IMG]

3. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Thanks Monarc....i think i'll go middle of the road $4 it is!

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Down here is SC, I sold mine for $3 for males and $5 for females and lots of people were happy to pay that price [​IMG]

Best Of Luck!

-Austin

5. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    At $4.00 you won't have a problem selling them in Fla...

6. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I had a guys recently contact me about eggs and he is willing to pay 66 cents per egg. (thats 8 dollars a dozen. so to feel him out I said the chicks were 4 dollars at day old and 6 dollars at 6 weeks after they mature I told him they are sold as breeders and that was 8 dollare each. or 25 dollars a trio. he seemed interested. is buying eggs tommorrow! I didnt expect him to be ok with it. I found a falconer who wants to buy my excess male coturnix every week. he is going to pay me 3 dollars a piece for what I would have other wise culled. I think that is great!!!!

I think if you are looking for a fair midline price 3 dollars for up to breeding age is good. if they are sexed before maturity then 4 dollars each is good, and after that once they become breeders demand will set the price. I am letting the market tell me how much to charge.

7. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    why give them away when you can go to the fleamarket where people will buy them for food...

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:can't sell them on my side of pa at flea markets.... i've heard on the eastern side of pa of birdsbeing sold at fleamarkets, but nope not anywhere around here. I wish there was....I'd probably sell everything locally then than online.

9. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Quote:can't sell them on my side of pa at flea markets.... i've heard on the eastern side of pa of birdsbeing sold at fleamarkets, but nope not anywhere around here. I wish there was....I'd probably sell everything locally then than online.

That would be easier

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by