Selling Day-olds in VT - 6 minimum?

NEgoosegirl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2015
Can anyone tell me whether Vermont really has a law that says one cannot sell less than 6 chicks/ducklings/etc.?

I’m considering hatching ducklings to sell as day-olds next spring, and I need to know if this law exists and whether it would apply to me.

Or is this a Federal law?

Thanks for any help!

No it's not a federal law. Quite often it might only be a company policy, no laws involved. But it varies by county and state.

You'd need to check in with whatever state board (agriculture?) is in charge of these things. If there is a state or county minimum it may only apply to retail stores, and not breeder. But without seeing this law it's impossible to say.

No it's not a federal law. Quite often it might only be a company policy, no laws involved. But it varies by county and state.

You'd need to check in with whatever state board (agriculture?) is in charge of these things. If there is a state or county minimum it may only apply to retail stores, and not breeder. But without seeing this law it's impossible to say.
Thanks! I tried to look it up on the VT agriculture website, but so far haven’t gotten anywhere. I’m hoping that if it is a law, it doesn’t apply to breeders. Thanks for your help!

Many states have Ag laws like this. In Ohio it is 6 chicks..cannot buy/sell just one. But that may apply to a business, not a backyard person- not sure.

Call you county Ag extension office - they should be able to point you to the proper place on the web to get the right info, as they are part of the Dept of Agriculture. They might even print it off for you!

Many states have Ag laws like this. In Ohio it is 6 chicks..cannot buy/sell just one. But that may apply to a business, not a backyard person- not sure.

Call you county Ag extension office - they should be able to point you to the proper place on the web to get the right info, as they are part of the Dept of Agriculture. They might even print it off for you!
Thanks! I’ll make some phone calls.

Back
Top Bottom