Selling duck eggs at a farmers market

katharinad

Overrun with chickens
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Southern Oregon Mountains
I like to hear suggestions, especially from Oregon sellers, but also those that sell in other sates:

What egg carton size you use for heavy breed ducks eggs? I like to mail order some and want to make sure to get the right size.
Do you give discounts for customers that bring their own cartons?
How much do you sell your eggs for?
How do you price different egg sizes or do you mix and match?
What are customers responses to duck versus chicken eggs?
Do you offer trial sized packages with lower prices for new customers?
Do you bring any health certifications of your birds?
Are there any certifications for organic duck eggs?
Do you bring a bird or two so show buyers your flock?
Do you show pictures of your free ranging ducks and their housing/living conditions?
How do you deal with customers that want fertilized eggs? I plan on selling eating eggs only, but you never know.
That is all that comes to my mind for now. Love to hear from anyone good and bad experiences.

I know this is really old but I would like to know to. Are there like certain things you have to have to sell eggs to people to eat? Sorry for dragging this outa the grave lol

One vendor at our farmer's market here has duck eggs. $5 a dozen. And no, they are not fertile -- I know, I tried incubating a dozen, and got absolutely none to even develop. Perhaps they were just too chilled, but generally even chilled eggs will at least start to show a little development, even if they don't make it.

I am also planning on selling unfertilized duck eggs at our local farmers market. We use them all the time and dont tell our friends till after they've eaten that we used duck eggs and once they thought about it. They sometimes say. "Why do people only eat chicken eggs?" My reply is usually city people only eat chicken eggs. The rest of us eat eggs.

Yeah, it seems 5-6$ per dozen is the going rate...which is what inspired me to get my own duckies! Ha ha, little did I know they'd become the favorite family pets as well.

I sell duck eggs at our farmers market. Three things I recommend: A "Cooking With Duck Eggs" information sheet, a $1 trial pack for first timers, and a spokesduck!

My understanding is before WWII people used to eat duck eggs as often as chicken eggs, and goose as often as turkey, but waterfowl don't adapt to intensive factory farming as well as chickens and turkeys.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom