selling ducklings and breeding questions

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
next year i am planning on letting my khaki girl hatch out some ducklings. she is separated from the drakes all the time, but what breed would make the cutest ducklings with her? pekin, rouen, another khaki, or a khaki/rouen mix? also what age should i rehome them? i’m planning on keeping 1-2 girls. also how much do i sell them for? i don’t care about the money, but i also don’t want to give people free ducklings that they won’t take care of/will eat! also if my new rouen ends up being a girl (sadly i’m pretty sure he’s a boy) what would be a good mix breed?

Rouens and KCs would be really cute I think. Here's some pictures of the mix
download (22).jpg
download (23).jpg

Females are usually more pricey but un-sexed you could sell 3 for about 3-6 dollars. I would sell them at at least pairs. If I were a breeder (for any animal) I would have a care sheet with them at least. If I were selling puppies I would probably interview them and have them answer about a hundred questions first lol. I don't know a whole lot on breeding and selling ducklings but maybe some other people here do.

Rouens and KCs would be really cute I think. Here's some pictures of the mix View attachment 2157721View attachment 2157723
Females are usually more pricey but un-sexed you could sell 3 for about 3-6 dollars. I would sell them at at least pairs. If I were a breeder (for any animal) I would have a care sheet with them at least. If I were selling puppies I would probably interview them and have them answer about a hundred questions first lol. I don't know a whole lot on breeding and selling ducklings but maybe some other people here do.
i don’t know how to vent sex. do you think if i hand raised them like my other ducks (so they are super friendly) and sold them once they are old enough to sex that would work? i’m just worried about nobody wanting the boys!!

I sold some of my ducklings recently (first hatch for me and first time selling ducklings). They are khaki/runner crosses. I sold them for $10 each to other poultry keepers so I knew they were going to experienced owners and not people who just want a cute duckling.
$10 per duckling is the average rate around where I am. I sold them at about 2-3 days old.

i don’t know how to vent sex. do you think if i hand raised them like my other ducks (so they are super friendly) and sold them once they are old enough to sex that would work? i’m just worried about nobody wanting the boys!!
There are pros and cons to selling them sexed. If they're sexed, people may only but females, but then you could sell them for more. If they're un-sexed, then you could get all of them sold, but you won't get more for females. You could try doing each, maybe the first round having them un-sexed, the second time- sexed. If one goes better then the other you could do that from then on. Some breeders have the option of choosing whether you want females, males, or un-sexed. Females would be the most expensive, un-sexed could be in between, and males the cheapest maybe? Or maybe just have the sexed ducklings more expensive for the convenience of already knowing?
There's an article in Wiki-how for telling sexing ducklings which includes voice sexing, vent checking, and by plumage.

Some people like to have day old just because they can bond with them more, whilst others will get the older ones to have them sexed. You could also have the option for that. If you look at some large breeders sites you'll see the different options they have.

There are pros and cons to selling them sexed. If they're sexed, people may only but females, but then you could sell them for more. If they're un-sexed, then you could get all of them sold, but you won't get more for females. You could try doing each, maybe the first round having them un-sexed, the second time- sexed. If one goes better then the other you could do that from then on. Some breeders have the option of choosing whether you want females, males, or un-sexed. Females would be the most expensive, un-sexed could be in between, and males the cheapest maybe? Or maybe just have the sexed ducklings more expensive for the convenience of already knowing?
There's an article in Wiki-how for telling sexing ducklings which includes voice sexing, vent checking, and by plumage.

Some people like to have day old just because they can bond with them more, whilst others will get the older ones to have them sexed. You could also have the option for that. If you look at some large breeders sites you'll see the different options they have.
how many ducklings should i have her hatch?

People love pure bred kahkis for eggs, that would be a selling point for you

You could mix pekin and kahki and sell them as mid size meat birds and egg layers

how many ducklings should i have her hatch?
Sorry for the late reply, Donald and Daisy came over. Anyway, that depends. About how many (fertile) eggs can she lay (over, say a week)? And if you end up keeping them for a while how many can you care for? I guess it mostly depends on how many you think you can sell over a period of time. Seeing as most people like to buy them as day olds, if only 4 of 10 are sold within that time, then you'll have 6 that are older than a day and not as many people will buy them then. There are a lot of varying factors but if you know you can care for them and sell them easily then go for however many you can handle. Like I've said before, I've never done this but hopefully I make sense lol

People love pure bred kahkis for eggs, that would be a selling point for you

You could mix pekin and kahki and sell them as mid size meat birds and egg layers
i won’t sell any of them for meat, i don’t eat my ducks so i don’t want people to eat their babies. but how would pekin/khaki look and what size would they be as adults?

Back
Top Bottom