selling eggs? do or don't?

biretta

Songster
12 Years
Jun 7, 2007
Hello. I have 5 pullets but plan on getting a flock of around 15 soon. Since I'll have more than enough eggs for myself I'm considering selling the extras. Has anyone out there had a bad experience with doing so on a small scale? I'm worried about being sued for bad eggs during these litigious-happy times we live in, as we've all heard about fallacious food-related law suits. Everyone is telling me that the pocket change I'll earn is not worth that risk. Oh, also which breeds produce the largest eggs generally in your experiences ?

Thanks!

I used to sell eating eggs before I started doing biosecurity...I never had a complaint Well okay I did have a few-- They complained when I was out of eggs LOL...
Farm fresh eggs are great and people will pay you more than store bought eggs. They are worth more too! After all your eggs are farm fresh, not God-Only-Knows-How-Old store bought..
If you always sell clean freshly gathered eggs, gathered every day, then there shouldnt be any issues..
I will warn you... People who buy farm fresh eggs dont like white eggs.. Most assume that white eggs are store bought and brown eggs are from a farm.... ANd green eggs can go either way, some love them others think they are old or something is wrong with the hen.. LOL..
And dark eggs are even more highly prized.. Welsummers, Marans, and Penedenca eggs are like gold LOL They just LOVE the deep dark color...
As far as large eggs go, my buff oirps once they matured laid some big eggs, so do RIR, Barred rocks, and the White rock hen I have lays dang near duck size eggs.. I swear I feel bad for her ...

Last edited:
Poor White Rock! Can I ask why you choose not to sell eggs anymore? In conflict with the ideals of your new career somehow? I'd like to think the type of person who seeks out eggs produced on a small scale "humane" farm would tend to not be inclined towards frivolous or false suits. But the guy I'm dating, soon to be married to, doesn't want me to take him down with me. Hmmm...that's nice.

Last edited:
I sell my eggs, and the only complaints i get are for not having enough!! he he he he!! Like previously stated, you just want to make sure that the eggs are collected daily, and are clean. I have some people that will only buy white eggs, some only brown, and some only green. Then there are the few that dont care, and want an assortment.
smile.png

I see that you have ducks; do you sell their eggs? Is there much of a demand for duck eggs?

Quote:
I dont get alot of request for Duck eggs, so we normally eat them Ourselves. But once in a while I will get someone who wants me to put in a duck egg with the rest of the eggs, so they can try it, and usually they come back for more. Duck eggs are great, especially for cooking.
smile.png

That's encouraging. I plan on getting some laying ducks but wonder if I'll like the taste of the eggs. I tried some once; they tasted kind of gamey, but I'd like to attribute that to those ducks' diet, e.g. slug, frogs, etc.

I sell eggs and am always on shortage. Brown eggs are the way to go though if you do. My chickens pay for themselves that way. I don't think sue happy people are going to go after you over eggs. Just have to sell them on a personal basis. Not like you're a big company so what are they going to gain?

Good, can't wait to try them. Actually, I'm still waiting to try home grown chicken eggs as my pullets are only 14 weeks old. Although, I'm trying not to think about the fact that I was just watching them downing worm after worm, my worst nightmare (worms!).

Back
Top Bottom