selling eggs for consumption

$2 for medium-jumbo brown eggs or $1.50 if they bring me empty cartons.I'm in Ohio and we have a few people here who sell them for $1 (crazy) I only have 17 laying but have over 50 pullets who wont lay till August so I'm in the negative.Owell I don't care cuz our cats aren't earning their keep as of now either and their still here
smile.png
I had a mouse poke it's little head up looking in our brooder.Little thief!!
somad.gif
Cat just sitting there not even flinching.Bunch of fat lazy cats!

I think you need to tie your sale price to your cost of feed !!! Smart people will always pay a lttle more for "Farm-Fresh-Egg's ....

Alan hit it. First, what does it cost to produce an egg?
Dont know? Work it out per chicken, per pound of feed. Add in all reasonable costs, but keep it simple, for now. I would do it like this:
feed + water (primary) + transport + packaging (secondary) + fees (if any) = Total production cost.

NOTE: If it costs you to sell them by using ads or paying fees as a vendor, then add those.
You can get as complicated as you want with this, but you are just looking for a solid cost number here. I wouldn't go beyond these.

Okay, so once you know how much a dozen costs you to produce, you apply this next formula to determine your profitable sell price:

(Production cost) x 1.618 = profitable sell price.
[[This is the simple way.]]

BUT, there's one more step. Decide what you're selling. Are you selling eggs or, "Naturally raised, Fresh Eggs, just like Grandma's".....
See the difference? It takes the same effort to sell a Chevy, as a Cadillac....

Then, GOand ASK people what they'll pay for such a treasure.
A price in PA can be different than a price in CA, as illustrated. The point is, markets vary for your product. SO find out what your market will give by surveying it.
And remember, "Sell the sizzle, NOT the steak!"

If the natural buy price of your market equals or exceeds your sell price to formula, then your'e making money!

Last edited:
I charge $2/doz. myself.

Someone on this site had a spreadsheet from Excel that was excellent. It was broken down by month and details the cost/egg utilizing formulas built into the spreadsheet. I started utilizing just to track the expenses of buying and selling chickens but have found it beneficial in many other areas. Sorry I don't have a link to the post but perhaps you could do a search for it.

I found it...https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=124260. Highly recommend utilizing it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Keystone Heights? I used to live in Orange Park.

I like the Excel sheet, although some may find it a bit much. I feel it is, myself, as Im not an Excel wiz. It does appear to track several cost factors around egg production costs, however. Im glad you brought it to our attention.

But, this is why I didn't say anything like this until until now. Most people who ask the "How Much" question, arent really looking for such things. They normally just want a cozy round number to bounce around.

Quote:
Its called the Fibonacci, or Golden Ratio, fully written as 1:1.618.
Nowadays, it is mostly seen with stock investing in what is known as swing trading. What it does in give you a number you can base buy/sell decisions on.

For a seller, it also sets a sell price that virtually guarantees a profit without loss... and without a lot of fancy footwork.

Last edited:
Quote:
Fascinating.

I love knowing the background/story on it. I will use that ratio when I'm ready to sell my eggs.

Look up the Fibonacci sequence and the concepts associated with it. Here's one example:

Take a playing card and divide its surface into a square and a rectangle. You will find the square has an area that is 1.618 times greater than the rectangle. A sunflower has similar attributes. If you take the total circumferencial area of the flower and extract just the area of the seed head alone, you will find the same ratio applies.

If you dig deep enough into the Fibonacci phenomenon, you will find some fascinating connections and implications throughout the cultures of man. You will also learn why the Golden Ratio of 1:1.618 is a universal profit margin. It is a natural part of our deepest thought processes.
We're talking way out there stuff, here.

Very arcane, very cool.

Last edited:
Quote:
Fascinating.

I love knowing the background/story on it. I will use that ratio when I'm ready to sell my eggs.

Look up the Fibonacci sequence and the concepts associated with it. Here's one example:

Take a playing card and divide its surface into a square and a rectangle. You will find the square has an area that is 1.618 times greater than the rectangle. A sunflower has similar attributes. If you take the total circumferencial area of the flower and extract just the area of the seed head alone, you will find the same ratio applies.

If you dig deep enough into the Fibonacci phenomenon, you will find some fascinating connections and implications throughout the cultures of man. You will also learn why the Golden Ratio of 1:1.618 is a universal profit margin. It is a natural part of our deepest thought processes.

Very arcane, very cool.

Yep. I am fascinated by fibonacci sequences, how they occur in nature and the deeper implications. Using that ratio for selling my girls' eggs feels like a very good plan.
Are you aware of any studies being done on chickens and fibonacci ratios - the white and yolk size for example? Just curious. Like I said this is a fascinating subject for me.

Thanks again!

Quote:

Very arcane, very cool.

Yep. I am fascinated by fibonacci sequences, how they occur in nature and the deeper implications. Using that ratio for selling my girls' eggs feels like a very good plan.
Are you aware of any studies being done on chickens and fibonacci ratios - the white and yolk size for example? Just curious. Like I said this is a fascinating subject for me.

Thanks again!

No I am not. But I am certain as I can be that there are applications! Good catch on your part - -

Back
Top Bottom