selling eggs for consumption

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlittle32, Jun 10, 2009.

1. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    The main reason I originally posted the question was to see what the prices were everywhere else.

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Songster

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    You smart folks make my head hurt. [​IMG] Hahaha! Go on with your bad self Devaroo! [​IMG]
    For me it's a hobby, not a career.So I don't look into it that much. [​IMG]

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:That's why I was reluctant to get into any of the math, like I used to.
    I hope you got your answer.

4. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    $2 a dozen here in Utah. I give them 25 cents off if they give me a carton.

5. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Thanks for the info, Davaroo!

Last time I was at the Downtown Phoenix Public Market, there was a stand selling eggs for $5/dozen!!! I see ads on CL for a dozen eggs between $2 and $3.

6. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Thanks for the info, Davaroo!

Last time I was at the Downtown Phoenix Public Market, there was a stand selling eggs for $5/dozen!!! I see ads on CL for a dozen eggs between $2 and $3.

7. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh come on say it! I have a stick of gum here!

8. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    That means I need to sell my eggs for 18.50 a dozen. Wonder how that will work out for me!

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:It comes naturally to me; it's pretty much what I do in my "day job."
    So I appreciate your forbearance.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I know what you mean! [​IMG] They eat a lot, dont they? This is one reason why people used to cull more rigorously than we do. Any hen that didn't produce eggs was eating feed for no return.
    Any parent of teenagers can understand that loss equation.

If you look at it as a daily production thing, then it doesn't loom so large. As an example, you have a dozen hens eating 60 oz's of feed per day, and giving an egg each per day.

Thats five pounds of feed on any given day, per dozen eggs.

If, for the sake of argument, feed is $.20/lb, thats $1 in feed for the dozen. If you add a few other costs, like gas and water and "incidentals", well, let's say it's $1.25 - $1.75

Now, multiply that by 1.681 and you get the sell price of $2.02 - $2.83 per dozen. As you can see, this is the general price range most people fall into across the country. It also adds credibility to the Fibonacci constant, and other research I've done supports this as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

But remember, go ASK your customer what'll they give. Some few may give $5, but most won't. The majority will also fall into the $2-$3 range (and there you go again, Fibonacci strikes again). However there may be reasons why $3-$3.50 will work in your market. It's worth exploring.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: