Selling eggs questions....

DillardHome

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Claxton, GA
Hello All!!

My eggs are starting to pile up in the fridge, I think I have about 56 eggs in there right now starting back in mid-October. These good girls have been busy, busy, busy
smile.png
They range in colors from light brown, dark brown and pastel blue.

My questions are:

1.) Would someone frown upon me trying to sell them eggs from October? Or should I only try to sell the current months batch?
2.) Do you write the date of "delivery" on your eggs so you can track the oldest to newest? And if so are these the eggs you sell as well?

As always your advice & tips are greatly appreciated!!
smile.png

Are you aware that the state of Ga requires you to pass a test to sell eggs? I've never looked into it. Seems to me the course/test is free but is not offered very often. I just give my extras to friends.

Quote:
Yes everyone would frown upon you selling them for fertile hatching eggs-when people buy fertile hatching eggs they expect and want them to be no older than 6-7 days old and thats pushing it because then they have to be shipped. Whne you collect eggs write the dates you collected and from which pens they came from-

If these are for eating you are fine-I never have eggs less than a week old in my house but I would buy eggs that are a couple weeks old to eat without a problem.

good luck!

Quote:
Nope, I did not know that. Thanks for telling me.
thumbsup.gif
I think I will just stick to giving them away.

PS - where in GA are you?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes everyone would frown upon you selling them for fertile hatching eggs-when people buy fertile hatching eggs they expect and want them to be no older than 6-7 days old and thats pushing it because then they have to be shipped. Whne you collect eggs write the dates you collected and from which pens they came from-

If these are for eating you are fine-I never have eggs less than a week old in my house but I would buy eggs that are a couple weeks old to eat without a problem.

good luck!

Yes, these would be for eating not hatching. Since DDAWN informed me about Georgia's requirements I will just stick with giving them away to friends free. Thanks for your reply!
smile.png

I give my eggs away and take a "donation" of $2 this works because I have a small network of people chomping at the bit for my eggs and often get more than $2 a doz.

Quote:
I have never heard of this requirement either but I don't advertise with signage that I have eggs for sale so I really dont think anyone in authority would ever come around. I get so many eggs a day now that I would like to be more aggressive in advertising to increase my customer count. Do you know who administers the test and how to reach them about test dates?

Back
Top Bottom