Selling Eggs

A liability issue? Is your flock free from salmonella and are you cleaning your eggs?
No flock (6) problems. Eggs are clean. Instructions concerning egg cleanliness have been clearly communicated to the girls. After further consideration, we have decided not to sell our eggs but just to share with neighbors and family.

Good for you in freely sharing your eggs, but you have above-store costs to produce them.

I have a small flock and have only sold 1/2 doz eggs/week to the same neighbors for 6 years, initially for $2 per and more recently for $2.50 per half dozen. When my neighbor first heard I had gotten chickens, I showed her my setup and she requested this arrangement before they even started producing. That price roughly covers basic feed costs for my three hens (just recently upgraded to 7).

You are putting in a fair amount of work and definitely footing the bill, so it would only be fair for others to help with the costs, even if you aren't concerned with profits. Your eggs are almost certainly fresher, higher quality and more humanely produced than what they can get at stores. They are worth more.

Oh, and to echo a comment above, you might want to ask those you are providing eggs to occasionally supply you with empty cartons. Just another way to cut costs and reduce landfill use.

Last edited:
Good for you in freely sharing your eggs, but you have above-store costs to produce them.

I have a small flock and have only sold 1/2 doz eggs/week to the same neighbors for 6 years, initially for $2 per and more recently for $2.50 per half dozen. When my neighbor first heard I had gotten chickens, I showed her my setup and she requested this arrangement before they even started producing. That price roughly covers basic feed costs for my three hens (just recently upgraded to 7).

You are putting in a fair amount of work and definitely footing the bill, so it would only be fair for others to help with the costs, even if you aren't concerned with profits. Your eggs are almost certainly fresher, higher quality and more humanely produced than what they can get at stores. They are worth more.

Oh, and to echo a comment above, you might want to ask those you are providing eggs to occasionally supply you with empty cartons. Just another way to cut costs and reduce landfill use.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom