Selling eggs

abejita

Chirping
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
So, I was hoping that I could eventually sell enough eggs to pay for my monthly chicken supplies, but I was wondering where I would get my customers from...Well, my neighbor emailed me this afternoon wanting to know if my chickens had laid eggs yet and that she wanted to buy some, LOL! I've only had them for a week!

We only have 5 hens laying right now. Our other 5 should start laying in a month or two. We sell our eggs for $3.00/dozen. We can't even come close to keeping up. We sell 2dozen/week. Cant really supply anyone on a regular basis so now i feel bad when people ask for them and have to say sorry. We dont really turn a profit. But they do pay for their own way.

I was wondering about this too. I would like to eventually (maybe this summer) get a couple more chickens so that I am able to sell some eggs for a bit of profit. Right now I have five hens and six are laying. Within about 3-4 days we get a dozen. Sometimes as much as 5 eggs a day and sometimes as few as 2. Anyway...
roll.png
lol... What is the going prices for eggs? I've seen $2 and I've seen $3 a dozen. Does it maybe just have to do with the area you live in and how accessible fresh eggs are? Our hens lay medium to large brown eggs.

I live in dallas and the going price is about $4-4.50 a dozen. This is what started the chicken thing for me. For two years, we got farm eggs from our co-op, then he quit supplying our co-op and I couldn't go back to store bought eggs...so now, there is a coop and half a dozen hens in my back yard, LOL! I am not looking to be a self made egg millionaire, just for them to pay for themselves ;-)

I know I ALWAYS say this but remember the church food banks. They will give you donation tax credits and I really does help They do not say you are selling them your eggs, as that may be against regulations but will say you donated a dozen eggs at what ever amount of moneys. If they do not take federal or state moneys they can take your eggs. It is safest to get a state sales and use tax # to sell your eggs. And if you give most of your eggs to the church you will show a loss. It is VERY easy.

Back
Top Bottom