Selling Eggs

Horsefly

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Virginia
I know there has probably been numerous post on this topic but I can't seem to find any. I have recently found a group of international people that want to buy my duck eggs. Appartently they can't find duck eggs at any of the asian or health food stores around here and were very excited to find out I have some.
So I was wondering what you sell your eggs for. Because I didn't know how much they would be interested in buying I sold them for $3 a dozen. I am thinking of going up a dollar or two if they consistantly keep buying them.
My other question is anyone familiar with the laws about selling farm duck eggs? I did a google search but didn't come up with much. I am in Louisiana and all I found was I didn't need to be inspected or anything unless I sell more than 30 dozen eggs at a time. Is this the only thing I need to worry about? I just don't want to get it trouble if someone gets sick from them or something.
One more thing I forgot lol. How do you clean your duck eggs? I have read that it lets germs in if you get them wet, but if the water is warmer than the egg it is fine? Right now I just scrub them down with a damp towel but it is pretty hard cleaning them off that way.

Last edited:
3 dollars is way to cheap down here. Most go about 5 a dozen. As for the laws I'd look more into your city ordinances rather than state laws

I'm From a tiny town in NY and almost every one around me and I sell them for only $2.00 a dozen .. Good old supply and demand .. Lots of suppliers in my area . I cant imagine why any one would get sick from your eggs as long as you collect them often .. I have a general rule of thumb when in doubt throw it out If I do not know how long an egg was there it doesn't get sold or eaten by my family ~ Corinne

Thanks, I don't think anyone would get sick from my eggs, I collect them every morning and keep them cool. I just don't know how they would handle them and wanted to make sure I wasn't liable for anything.
Where can I find my city ordinaces?

It should be listed on your City's website. For example on my City's websites you can find it in a tab at the very top.

Contact your state Dept. of Agriculture, as rules vary by state.

In Pennsylvania, the law is that if you have over 300 laying hens, you are considered commercial, and your eggs must be stored at 40 or below from the time of collection, and eggs must be collected within 24 hours of lay.

If you have less than 300 laying hens, you are a small farm, and your eggs must be kept below 65 degrees, though 40 is still preferred.

These rules may not apply to your state, but are still sound guidelines to follow for food safety purposes.

I sell my chicken eggs for 4.00 a dozen and everyone is pleased to pay that for them. They know they are MUCH healthier then the store eggs. I think selling duck eggs for 3.00 a dozen is crazy. IMO I would charge 5.00 or more for duck eggs. I would pay up to 8.00 a dozen for free range duck eggs because I know what goes into them. The ppl who buy eggs from me realize the amount of work that goes into keeping healthy chickens/ducks and are willing to pay the higher price. I won't sell to anyone who thinks they aren't worth it, and I don't need to. I can't keep up with the demand the way it is. Don't be afraid to ask for a higher price, they are worth it! Find ppl who appreciate them, they are out there.

Back
Top Bottom