Selling hatching eggs

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
Hey all,

I want to start selling hatching eggs online (Ebay, etc..) just as a side profit to pay for my chickens. Problem is, I don’t know what would sell well.

I’m looking to get around half a dozen new birds for breeding, either a hybrid or a purebred lineage. I have ideas of starting a hybrid fibromelanotic line but I don’t fully understand the process of genetics and I don’t want to end up with too many chickens from test/generational breeding.

I have a friend who has Thai game fowl, and I might raise some myself and sell them online since the market for this specific breed doesn’t seem very popular. I’ve also read online that selling birds for cockfighting over state lines isn’t legal in the United States and I don’t know if game fowl eggs constitute with this law or if it’s only adult fowl.

I’m located in Western NC, if this is relevant. Thanks for any input.

I’ve also read online that selling birds for cockfighting over state lines isn’t legal in the United States and I don’t know if game fowl eggs constitute with this law or if it’s only adult fowl.
It also applies to standard live fowl and hatching eggs.. are not legal to ship or transport across MOST state lines without proper permits.. NPIP or possibly the veterinary health form.

Most ebay sellers and buyers seem to either not know or not care about the laws.

half a dozen birds.. is NOT breeding for anything in particular other than making some money (which you did state was your goal). It's not going to improve the stock maybe not even maintain it.. as there won't be enough to select from.. but eh.. your standards (and goals) may not be the same as mine.

Best wishes on your adventure! :wee

Stick to local cash selling, ebays fees are steadily growing and they're so quick to please the customer, they'll rip off you as a seller.
Many customers don't understand the logistics of incubation for shipped eggs.
That being said, colored eggers or splash whatever usually sell well.
Could I possibly cross a blue splash ameraucana and a blue splash maran and get blue splash olive eggers?

Could I possibly cross a blue splash ameraucana and a blue splash maran and get blue splash olive eggers?
Those would definitely sell but I'm not sure if it works genetics, those genetics split into black, blue and splash when bred, I'm not sure if breed plays a part. Is it a real Ameracauna?

That's what I thought but I'm waiting to hear if the ameracauna is true.
What's blue splash? Splash that leans blue?
I believe there's something floating around in chocolate or dun that's also called a splash of those. So they where making the distinction or I know some have always called splash, blue splash.

Back
Top Bottom