Selling house, need ideas for chicken run.

Phase one of grape trellis. It's a native grape vine (not good eating grapes) so it thrives. Like, amazingly thrives that it will cover that whole trellis in no time. The hang over will give a nice cover for the girls and a great little nook for DS to sit with the chickens and read. I'm kinda bummed we are getting all this done in time to sell our house and not when I wanted it for us to really enjoy it. But tbo I love seeing them in the yard and only keep them fenced in when we are gone. Lol

It is also important to me because I may have to re-home some of the girls, dependant on where we end up buying. If I can make the idea of chickens, already having the coop and really neat run, then maybe they can stay here in familiar housing with established flock mates. It would make the pain, and transition time, a whole lot easier for me and my son. But I don't want to think about that. I need to do my absolute best to create a space this space.
PXL_20220405_175525571.jpg
PXL_20220405_174755104.jpg

Ok, here's a video of the run and picture of our yard.

When I start the video I am at the back of the coop which is their access door and one of ours to the fenced in run. This is where we keep food. I will attempt to grow sweet potato vines up that fence.The umbrella and wood behind the umbrella will be removed.

The next area has complete coverage from the over hang of the smaller tree. This is their large dust bathing area. They love it! It's shaded and cool in the summer and sunny in the winter.

Then we move to the expanded large open area. I increased this area in hopes to keep give enough space for the girls who are not used to being confined. In the far corner under the evergreen is our "compost" area. There are currently Rose of Sharon bushes and day lilies close to the fence and offers a walkway and cover behind them. The long twigs is a native grape vine. We are creating a waterfall trellis for the grapevine to give more cover (and greenery) coming out into the circle area. There is a hawk net covering from the fence to the evergreen.

I am wanting to add some native grasses and flowers along with a small sitting area in the open circle.

My intention is to create a big, more secure oasis for the hens while still offering a large yard. If the run can somewhat be concealed with greenery and flowers then it's pleasant to look at. We can also step in and sit to enjoy the chickens. Does any of this make sense?

I'll attach 2 pictures of the yard. The fenced off is where we are planting grass and fixing the edging which the chickens and dogs (and building a coop and patio) have destroyed.

I'd love thoughts on whether this plan seems attainable, reasonable or not worth the time and effort. I could not imagine not wanting chickens if you can have both a nice big yard along with a pretty run.

I should add we are in the downtown area near campus and have .28 acre. This is very rare for our area and a good selling feature. I want to play it up.

Thank you for any all advice! Even if it's telling me I'm crazy or it's not reasonable for my girls.

Don't mind the junk, I am still cleaning up the random items scattered to offer hawk protection during the winter.

PXL_20220405_000446792.jpg
PXL_20220405_000436073.jpg

Back
Top Bottom