Selling house, need ideas for chicken run.

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
We are putting our house on the market within the next year. We live in an area that is very big on front yard gardens, native planting, bee keeping, backyard chickens and the like. But that doesn't mean everyone looking at our house will be. We are trying to make the run into a "feature" where you can sit with the chickens (small table and 2-3 chairs) surround by native plants, pollinators and trellises. I really need some ideas and pictures to help envision anything. My mind sucks that way🤦
Has anyone ever attempted, or know someone who has, to do a set up like this?
If there is interest in giving ideas I can take a video of our area and coop for suggestions.
Thanks!

We are putting our house on the market within the next year. We live in an area that is very big on front yard gardens, native planting, bee keeping, backyard chickens and the like. But that doesn't mean everyone looking at our house will be. We are trying to make the run into a "feature" where you can sit with the chickens (small table and 2-3 chairs) surround by native plants, pollinators and trellises. I really need some ideas and pictures to help envision anything. My mind sucks that way🤦
If there is interest in giving ideas I can take a video of our area and coop for suggestions.
Thanks!
Some people have a house split jn the middle. Half for the birds and half for storage or for people to sit and watch without getting poop on them

Thanks!
I don't know what you are working with, or what your budget is (or what your local zoning regulations say about chicken coop locations relative to your residence), but you may take some inspiration from this -

"Hoop Coop" Inspired raised bed and trellis system. (Dimensions, during construction pic)

This is after it was planted.

Obviously, the design is easily adapted to whatever length is needed for coop and run. You would need to add hardware cloth for predator protection, plus a front and back. When you do that, make sure to run a ridge beam to help with snow loads - I don't get those here, so I was able to bend the arch so its near flat at the top under gravity without risking it bowing inwards. You don't have that luxury.

Shade cloth can be added as well, and is quick to attach.

That way, you are selling a "raised bed garden area" an outside shade structure for seasonal lounging, AND a potential chicken coop and run, without commiting to any single use.

Planted snow peas about a week ago, added plant shelf, shade cloth, more plants (not yet sprouted)
16491053396302513138388514479389.jpg

/edit sorry about the plastic fencing - it mostly keeps the chickens out, and obviously wouldn't be something you needed if you were using an extended version of this as a chicken run, with some hardware cloth at the bottom.

Last edited:
Some people have a house split jn the middle. Half for the birds and half for storage or for people to sit and watch without getting poop on them
Our coop is already made so there is no possibility to modify that.
I don't know what you are working with, or what your budget is (or what your local zoning regulations say about chicken coop locations relative to your residence), but you may take some inspiration from this -

"Hoop Coop" Inspired raised bed and trellis system. (Dimensions, during construction pic)

This is after it was planted.

Obviously, the design is easily adapted to whatever length is needed for coop and run. You would need to add hardware cloth for predator protection, plus a front and back. When you do that, make sure to run a ridge beam to help with snow loads - I don't get those here, so I was able to bend the arch so its near flat at the top under gravity without risking it bowing inwards. You don't have that luxury.

Shade cloth can be added as well, and is quick to attach.

That way, you are selling a "raised bed garden area" an outside shade structure for seasonal lounging, AND a potential chicken coop and run, without commiting to any single use.
That is a really cool set up! I could do something similar for the south end but it won't work in the space I have for sitting.
Not suggesting you buy this, but this advertisement has some of the photos/visual you seem to be describing. It keeps popping up on my laptop, so I had to link it. :lol: 3rd to last, and first.
https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-walk-in-chicken-coop/#1-choose-standard-or-xl-model-coop
Yep! That 3rd to last pict looks amazing! Too bad my yard is not near as lush after having free ranging chickens and large dogs 😂 😂 two of the major reasons why I need to really set up this coop area well!

Ok, here's a video of the run and picture of our yard.

When I start the video I am at the back of the coop which is their access door and one of ours to the fenced in run. This is where we keep food. I will attempt to grow sweet potato vines up that fence.The umbrella and wood behind the umbrella will be removed.

The next area has complete coverage from the over hang of the smaller tree. This is their large dust bathing area. They love it! It's shaded and cool in the summer and sunny in the winter.

Then we move to the expanded large open area. I increased this area in hopes to keep give enough space for the girls who are not used to being confined. In the far corner under the evergreen is our "compost" area. There are currently Rose of Sharon bushes and day lilies close to the fence and offers a walkway and cover behind them. The long twigs is a native grape vine. We are creating a waterfall trellis for the grapevine to give more cover (and greenery) coming out into the circle area. There is a hawk net covering from the fence to the evergreen.

I am wanting to add some native grasses and flowers along with a small sitting area in the open circle.

My intention is to create a big, more secure oasis for the hens while still offering a large yard. If the run can somewhat be concealed with greenery and flowers then it's pleasant to look at. We can also step in and sit to enjoy the chickens. Does any of this make sense?

I'll attach 2 pictures of the yard. The fenced off is where we are planting grass and fixing the edging which the chickens and dogs (and building a coop and patio) have destroyed.

I'd love thoughts on whether this plan seems attainable, reasonable or not worth the time and effort. I could not imagine not wanting chickens if you can have both a nice big yard along with a pretty run.

I should add we are in the downtown area near campus and have .28 acre. This is very rare for our area and a good selling feature. I want to play it up.

Thank you for any all advice! Even if it's telling me I'm crazy or it's not reasonable for my girls.

Don't mind the junk, I am still cleaning up the random items scattered to offer hawk protection during the winter.

PXL_20220405_000446792.jpg
PXL_20220405_000436073.jpg

Everything I thought of is probably obvious, but I'll say it in case it helps.

Don't mind the junk, I am still cleaning up the random items scattered to offer hawk protection during the winter.
Yes, cleaning it up will help.

I think it will look better when all the plants have leaves. If you have the option of selling your house when plants are green, or at least taking photos for the listing at that time, I expect that will help quite a bit.

If you can manage green grass on the ground, I think that will also help. (Pen up the chickens, put down grass seed, water it as needed.)

Back
Top Bottom