Selling Meat Question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TwoToedRat, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TwoToedRat

TwoToedRat New Egg

Jul 22, 2008
    Atlanta
    Hello everyone!

I am interested in selling some USDA processed meaties of mine at local markets along with my vegetables. I've read that it is wise to have liablity insurance in case someone were to get sick... does anyone have recommendations about this, such as carriers and what it is likely to cost? does anyone here do this? sorry if this is a silly question!! Thanks!

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    As long as they are USDA inspected and you keep them frozen until they are sold your not going to have any problems. It's mandatory for USDA to freeze the chicken for resale like your doing. The chicken is still considered fresh/ never frozen as USDA's freezing line is like 0 degrees F. So something frozen at 25 degrees would still be conisdered fresh.

But it's always a good idea to carry liability insurance just incase. We do, but we also have people coming to our farm and don't want them to get hurt and sue. Million dollar insurance is relatively cheap. I think I pay like $60 a month for it... I would have to check.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For liability insurance most people just arrange it with their existing home insurance carrier, for an extra fee of course.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by