Selling my chickens with Scaly leg mites

flo_bee

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
Hi all,

Thanks to this forum I was alerted to the fact that my chickens have scaly leg mites. Since then, my husband and I have been attempting to treat them with foot baths and petroleum jelly. It worked a bit, but the chickens are still infected and some of them are pretty bad unfortunately.
We are at a time in our lives where we can't take care of our chickens in a way that is meeting their needs. We are also moving soon and so we are looking to sell our flock.
My question is: is it unethical to sell the flock with scaly leg mites? He told me to not mention it in the ad but it doesn't sit right with me to hide information like that. At the same time, if I put in the ad that they have scaly leg mites I doubt anyone would buy them. Shall I accept that I should just sell them for free or at a super low cost? I would love to see them go to a home where they can get the treatment they deserve.

Oh jeez, i wish i could take them. :( I would totally treat them but don’t currently have the room.

You need to include that in the ad, though. It might even encourage some people to buy them to rescue them. Like i know a lot of people rescue pasty butt babies. I hope they find good homes!

Oh jeez, i wish i could take them. :( I would totally treat them but don’t currently have the room.

You need to include that in the ad, though. It might even encourage some people to buy them to rescue them. Like i know a lot of people rescue pasty butt babies. I hope they find good homes!
That's a great point! I could sell them/(give them away) more as 'rescue' chickens.

Hi all,

Thanks to this forum I was alerted to the fact that my chickens have scaly leg mites. Since then, my husband and I have been attempting to treat them with foot baths and petroleum jelly. It worked a bit, but the chickens are still infected and some of them are pretty bad unfortunately.
We are at a time in our lives where we can't take care of our chickens in a way that is meeting their needs. We are also moving soon and so we are looking to sell our flock.
My question is: is it unethical to sell the flock with scaly leg mites? He told me to not mention it in the ad but it doesn't sit right with me to hide information like that. At the same time, if I put in the ad that they have scaly leg mites I doubt anyone would buy them. Shall I accept that I should just sell them for free or at a super low cost? I would love to see them go to a home where they can get the treatment they deserve.
I just got my first flock of hens a couple of months ago. Being new I had no idea what to look for. Unfortunately, 4 out of 6 definitely have scaly leg mites. Now, I am having to deal with them. It would have been nice if I were told about them so that I could decide if I want to deal with them or not.

It is not right withholding this information. I have learned and will know what to look for in the future but I don't think it is fair that I having to deal with this as a newbie.

Hi all,

I had a recurring problem with mites some years ago, at a time when it had become difficult for me to care for them properly. I offered the chickens free on a Poultry lovers website, and explained I had treated but suspected the old coop was a problem so would be dismantling it. I chose genuine new owners from about 50 applicants! They were delighted with their cute Pekins and even sent photos.

If possible can you treat them with ivermectin pour-on before you sell them? If you can do both doses, that would be optimal. Even if you couldn’t give them the first dose, disclose that they are being treated and will need the second dose (supply new owners with dosage info and bottle of ivermectin- you’ll have plenty extra) on a specific date, then at least the new owners would know how to handle the mites. I had several hens that I inherited with a coop that had S.L.M and had no idea what it was until I noticed that the hens looks in pain when they walked and didn’t move much. I tried the vasoline route for a month, every day, but it didn’t work. Ivermectin pour on is put on the back of the hens neck (on the skin) like flea medication. The exact dosage can be found on BYC, just search Ivermectin Pour On dosage.
The ivermectin worked within a week and the girls had flattened leg scales within a month or two. They felt so much better after treatment. Egg withdrawal is 30 days with ivermectin, so if you go that route, be sure to mention it in the listing, too.

If possible can you treat them with ivermectin pour-on before you sell them? If you can do both doses, that would be optimal. Even if you couldn’t give them the first dose, disclose that they are being treated and will need the second dose (supply new owners with dosage info and bottle of ivermectin- you’ll have plenty extra) on a specific date, then at least the new owners would know how to handle the mites. I had several hens that I inherited with a coop that had S.L.M and had no idea what it was until I noticed that the hens looks in pain when they walked and didn’t move much. I tried the vasoline route for a month, every day, but it didn’t work. Ivermectin pour on is put on the back of the hens neck (on the skin) like flea medication. The exact dosage can be found on BYC, just search Ivermectin Pour On dosage.
The ivermectin worked within a week and the girls had flattened leg scales within a month or two. They felt so much better after treatment. Egg withdrawal is 30 days with ivermectin, so if you go that route, be sure to mention it in the listing, too.
Egg withdrawal is actually not necessary with Ivermectin treatment since this drug is also prescribed to humans.

Back
Top Bottom