Selling Quail Meat.

CoopedChik

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Louisville Kentucky
Okay I'm loving raising my quail. I started it as an extra hobby on my small chicken farm ( I raise show birds not food birds ) So, with my few quail I started with I now have a few more and then a few more. So I butchered up the extra males, they where delicious btw and I'm proud of raising my own meat. But I don't need a freezer full of birds every year. So I figured I'd look into getting a spot at some local farmer's markets to sell the quail eggs and the meat. BUT I know I need to have inspections down and acquire permits to do so with this. So if anyone who sales meat for small profit and small production of birds, could you please tell me what exactly I must do to get everything in order before next year.

If you need to know my birds are all Coturnix quail. And I live in the stat of Kentucky. If that helps any for your info. Thank so Much for your help
smile.png

Ok, cool. I know I tried everywhere to find out about Tn. Called about 6 government agencies to no avail. I don't think gamebirds have the same restrictions as chickens, as far as selling meat.

ok I kinda figured cause of hunting and well thats where quail meat generally comes from, AND I just learned the permit the for Coturnix is if you own over 50 adults and if you crossing state borders my few birds are fine for now, but if I REALLY get into this like I want then I need to get More permits >>

Quote:
if you are selling less then 1,000 a yaer and they are picked up at your farm usda has an exemtion but most localities pile more regs onto this LOL on top of checking with your state vet and ag dept it does not hurt to check with city hall to make sure you are aware of all local regs

Quote:
if you are selling less then 1,000 a yaer and they are picked up at your farm usda has an exemtion but most localities pile more regs onto this LOL on top of checking with your state vet and ag dept it does not hurt to check with city hall to make sure you are aware of all local regs

THank you for that

Ok, cool. I know I tried everywhere to find out about Tn. Called about 6 government agencies to no avail. I don't think gamebirds have the same restrictions as chickens, as far as selling meat.
there is no permits required in tn to raise coturnix only bobwhites. i checked and double checked with twra. if u want to own and raise bobwhites its a $50 poccession permit and a $100 propigation permit. plus if u plan on releasing for hunting you have to get a preserve permit which you must have 30 acres and the permit is $150 a year. and twra has to inspect your facilities

there is no permits required in tn to raise coturnix only bobwhites. i checked and double checked with twra. if u want to own and raise bobwhites its a $50 poccession permit and a $100 propigation permit. plus if u plan on releasing for hunting you have to get a preserve permit which you must have 30 acres and the permit is $150 a year. and twra has to inspect your facilities
WOW! It's only $12 in VA and that cover both possession and propagation.

In regards to the meat, here's another way to legally go around the inspections:
you have people come to your house, and they then choose the rabbits or birds they want while still alive, and you can legally offer " a free on site butchering service" and no laws are broken if that route is taken.

Back
Top Bottom